Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What about this site is not suitable for children?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please post some evidence of studies to back up your claims.

I've heard about, p0rnstars, prostitutes who have had problems and men who use their services but I haven't heard anything about people having casual sex.

There again what's to say that the damage isn't an effect but the cause?

For example:

A woman might be depresssed because she doesn't have enough money before she becomes a prostitute.

A man might be depressed because he can't get a girlfriend so he starts using prostitutes.

A p0rnstar might become depressed not because they're having lots of casual sex but because of the publicity being a p0rnstar brings.

Last edited:
Mistakes in Children.

When having loose sex like you guys are talking about, the issue is not just unwanted pregnancies and STD's, but what about psychological damage.
Sex are intended between two people who have a close relationship, because it brings a psychological bond.
Loose sex and sleeping around will just bring suffering to yourself.
Is it not the responsibility of adults to protect their children against that sort of damage.

That means: what we must promote is no sex until marriage. It will spare all of us a lot of emotional baggage that hampers you from living life to the fullest.

Just my opinion

Seems like a 13 year old boy has some serious consequences as well. Beginning with an increase cost of vision correction. (For reasons unknown.)

Children and responsibility should never be used in the same sentence. It will never truly happen. They lack the necessary insulation to be able to make clear proper choices all the time. Fact is their brains are not fully developed because the white matter keeping signals from interrupting each other won't develop fully until age 25. That's why they will make so many mistakes.

Seems like a 13 year old boy has some serious consequences as well. Beginning with an increase cost of vision correction. (For reasons unknown.)

Children and responsibility should never be used in the same sentence. It will never truly happen. They lack the necessary insulation to be able to make clear proper choices all the time. Fact is their brains are not fully developed because the white matter keeping signals from interrupting each other won't develop fully until age 25. That's why they will make so many mistakes.

Man, I wish I'd stopped making dumb decisions at the age of 25. :)

Anyway, I agree with Hero. There are any number of so-called "studies" vaunted to bolster both sides of the argument. Most discussions on the topic just end up going back and forth, and since it's always a matter of subjective opinion and not objective fact, no headway is ever made and nobody's mind is ever changed. It's like arguing about what is the best text/code editor.

Almost everybody I know was sexually active before we could legally buy a beer, and all of these people are currently in stable, long-term, monogamous relationships. Maybe we're just all weirdos and can expect the horrible psychological consequences of our actions to kick in later in life?

Torben

Hero999

what did the last line of my post state:
just my opinion.

In other words I am not obliged to provide so-called scientific proof/whatever studies, because none exists, science doesn't care about 13-year old kids sleeping around.

I know of plenty high school kids whose lives are f-ed up because of loose sex.
And do you know what all of them said afterwords...
I should have never done it.
But unfortunately then it's too late, so if the parents could have been a bit tighter on discipline as to have prevented their kids from having sex, those kids would have been somewhere better.

So that is the basis of my opinion, don't cure the damage, avoid it.

And Torben is also very accurate in his observation, so I will say no more about this topic..... for now.

Age old problem

I'm sure that this conversation has been talked over so many times over the Century's that we could not add even minor amount. As long as children have parents. These two problems will go hand in hand. So, until we can birth children with a little more onboard Ram or some front side bus we will continue to have this conversation.

I think it just happens to be more of a healing effect (For Parents) after all the abuse children have put them through.

Nice to know Parents and Guardians still care. What we have to worry about is when this conversation stops completely on all Continents.

kv

Last edited:
I don't really think there's any case for argument?, less teenage pregnancies is a good thing - how can you argue that more teenage pregnancies is better?.

Teenagers have sex, it's not a point for debate, so having safe sex and less pregnancies is so obviously far better.

In one of my writing classes, our book was entitled
"Everything is an Argument" Never has this seemed more true than now. What we have here is a classical circular argument.

On the one hand we have people that claim that teaching abstinance is the correct course of action. Afterall no sex means no pregnancies, no STD's, no problems.
At the same time, others feel that preaching abstinance is foolish as young adults will do what they want anyways, so why not equip them with tools to offer protection from things like pregnancy.

Amidst this circle of argument you have your moral beliefs, eg. sex before marriage is wrong, so don't do it, period.

This is the sort of thing that will continue beyond the days that I will still be able to hammer out letters on a keyboard. Furthermore, this is something that a good home life, with stable parents will play an important role. Parents are the key, and hopefully if they do their job right, issues like this will not arise with their children.

Last edited:
I don't really think there's any case for argument?, less teenage pregnancies is a good thing - how can you argue that more teenage pregnancies is better?.

Teenagers have sex, it's not a point for debate, so having safe sex and less pregnancies is so obviously far better.

True, teens have and will continue to have sex. That fact isn't debatable, however the argument favoring abstinence versus negative outcomes of teen sex is debatable. The arguments within society stem from the the camps of morality versus social behavior/outcomes. Morality likely being based from religous doctrine/beliefs. Social behavior/outcomes being real world statistics and demographics. Obviously the solution to the issue is not clear cut or society wouldn't still be debating it.

"The UK has the most puritanical sex and p0rn laws in the EU, yet has the highest teen pregnancy rate - I suspect that isn't a coincidence."

That statement reminds me of the results where firearms were removed from citizens, only to have violent crime increase ... case in point: Washington D.C.

Last edited:
"The UK has the most puritanical sex and p0rn laws in the EU, yet has the highest teen pregnancy rate - I suspect that isn't a coincidence."

That statement reminds me of the results where firearms were removed from citizens, only to have violent crime increase ... case in point: Washington D.C.

The problem with that was that you were only removing the firearms from the law abiding citizens - the criminals still had their's.

In a society as gun-ridden as the USA I suspect it would be near impossible to revert to no firearms - probably the only hope if a very gradual fadeout of them. An obvious first step would be to ban all sales of new arms, but it would need to be country wide, and VERY strictly enforced. It would also have very little effect in the lifetimes of most members here! :D

Statistics can be warped. I hated stats in collage and if I learned anything it is that while stats may not lie, but they are open to a wide range of, often misleading, interpretations. One can not properly interpret stats without taking the system (think other related variables) that produced them into account.

I had a friend who worked at the state department of health. When we ( the US) had that ridiculous 55 mph speed limit the powers that be often pointed to the reduced number of traffic fatalities to prove that it was a good thing.

What they were not telling is that the saved people did not survive their crashes without harm. A good many of them had injuries so serious that they would never work again. People with this level of injury increased at about the same rate as the decrease in deaths.​

Statistics can be warped. I hated stats in collage and if I learned anything it is that while stats may not lie, but they are open to a wide range of, often misleading, interpretations. One can not properly interpret stats without taking the system (think other related variables) that produced them into account.

I had a friend who worked at the state department of health. When we ( the US) had that ridiculous 55 mph speed limit the powers that be often pointed to the reduced number of traffic fatalities to prove that it was a good thing.

What they were not telling is that the saved people did not survive their crashes without harm. A good many of them had injuries so serious that they would never work again. People with this level of injury increased at about the same rate as the decrease in deaths.​

I was recently watching the History Channel on Modern Marvels. They were talking about the Autobahn. I guess there are fewer accidents than in the U.S. be it size of country and country men or something. I don't really know why but it was very interesting.

There you go again Statistics ?

The problem with that was that you were only removing the firearms from the law abiding citizens - the criminals still had their's.
very true.

An obvious first step would be to ban all sales of new arms, but it would need to be country wide, and VERY strictly enforced. It would also have very little effect in the lifetimes of most members here! :D
I couldn't tell you how long Pot, Cocaine, and other drugs have been illegal here in the USA, but they're still here - and easy to get. Ban all the guns and they will still get to those who want to have them. Of course, those who have them will be the criminals and the law abiding citizens will have none.

besides, the best way to subdue a population is to remove their weapons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back