Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Weird file naming on downloads

augustinetez

Anybody else getting downloaded files like this - tuAZaqMK.pdf.part - this is the manual from the Car DIY amp thread.

It's not only files from this site, I downloaded several files yesterday that had the same general format excepting that the 'pdf' in the above example was replaced by 'zip' in one case (it was a zip file I wanted to download).

After scanning and removing '.part' from the filename, all the files were what they were supposed to be.

Only started a couple of days ago.

.part is a partial file from an incomplete download. Either it was stopped at the server, or you aborted the download somehow and it left the partial file. While downloading, it will be created and when download is complete, it removes the ".part" portion of the file.
Some download utilities leave the .part in the hopes of you re-starting the download, so it can carry on from where it left off. However, a lot of downloading programs just delete it and start a new file. It all depends on how it is being downloaded.

Yeah, but, the downloaded .part file is exactly the same size as the same (original) file if I download by right clicking and doing "Save link as..."

To explain that using the manual from the thread mentioned here on the forum:

If I directly click the link, I get the .part file and it is 3,174 KB in size. Remove .part from filename and file opens without problems as a pdf file.

If I right click and save file as, the file is 3,174 KB, has the correct file name ending in .pdf

I'm using Firefox on a Win 10 PC, will go and check if it happens in other browsers.

It's got to be a Firefox thing, Chrome and a couple of others work fine.
I was having problems yesterday, the 'latest' update seemed to have broken Firefox - and it wouldn't download pdf's, zip's etc, and just partly downloaded it, and you couldn't even cancel the attempted download.

However, this morning I've downloaded a yet later version (V112.0.2), and this seems to have cured the issue. So check what version you might be on.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back