Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ways to convert from PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to power up a led strip with 36V at 4.9A.

I have a computer PSU that I can use to AC-DC but the output is 12V, 18A.

So the question is: how do I convert 12V/18A to 36V/4.9A?

To start with the 12 volt rail would not provide 18 amps unless there was a significant load on the 5 volt rail. The PC power supply would need major design changes to provide the output you require. A step up switching regulator could be designed to step the voltage up but this is not a trivial exercise. I suggest looking on ebay for LED power supplies.

Les.

A commercially available LED driver would also be cheaper than a home-brew one if you had to buy all new components.

Something like this should do the job but, as previously mentioned, you may need to load the 5V rail.

**broken link removed**

you could get a recom led driver, and just parallel as many of them up until you get the 4.9A.

many other co's exist like recom.

48V 180W PSU"s 1U high are pretty common much more tha 36V

MOST LED STRIPS are in fact 12v for cars cabinets and what not. That hi voltage is not exactly a good choice it can killyou 30 volts you feel 36 it may do you in. I kind of wander why don't you split the leds to a reasonable voltage of 12v the power requirement remains the same. taht way you have resolved your problem and string anything is a bad idea one goes all go down.

Telephone wires run on 50V which is the limit for safety low voltage
Generally you cannot string more than 2 in daisy chain due to current capacity on the fpc cable.
Therefore 3x 12V strings in series is quite feasible. One LED failure will not cause failure to the entire string.

Actually all string are diodes LED are in parallel. so for strips of leds one or more failures will not effect the rest of the leds no how. I was thinking of xmas lights sorry.

I need to power up a led strip with 36V at 4.9A.
I have a computer PSU that I can use to AC-DC but the output is 12V, 18A.
So the question is: how do I convert 12V/18A to 36V/4.9A?

What type of LED circuit uses 4.9 amps? A regular bright white LED pulls around 20ma, 4.9 divided by .02=245, so you would need 245 in parallel.
However, if you do need to convert 12 volts to 36 volts, this circuit will do it. I use the design in untitled1.png to charge the battery in my computer from 12 volts when away from home Untitled1.png Untitled2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back