Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

watts pmpo

Status
Not open for further replies.
PMPO is peak music power output. It seems to have 0 correlation to the actual RMS power of an amplifier and has no standard definition or measurement. I have seen small systems with hundreds of watts of PMPO. I am certain if I measured it I would find substantially less output power. A much better metric of amplifier power is the continuous or RMS power in addition to the dynamic headroom. The headroom is how much above the continuous power the system can supply in a peak. For instance if an amplifier specifies a continous output of 25W with 3dB of headroom, that is effectively a doubling of power. So it could supply up to 50W peak. 3dB is about the maximum amount of headroom you will find in any solid amplifier.

Most of cases the PMPO value is lie. I've repaired a music center - marked 2 * 100W PMPO - and the mains transformer was only 20VA!
Anyway the TBA800 max out.power 5W.

The problem that arises is this: One buys an amplifier from the emporium,rated 1200W pmpo. It sports handles at each end by means of which it may be carried by two people, and a heatsink that would do justice to a Porsche. Someone has been telling the truth. To go with it one has a pretty pair of speakers, rated 1500W pmpo, with their 6 inch bass drivers and 2 inch cone tweeters, and sturdy 1/4 inch thick chipboard cabinets. Someone hasn't. Who is to blame for the smoke and confetti? Can one get one's money back?

The problem that arises is this: One buys an amplifier from the emporium,rated 1200W pmpo. It sports handles at each end by means of which it may be carried by two people, and a heatsink that would do justice to a Porsche. Someone has been telling the truth. To go with it one has a pretty pair of speakers, rated 1500W pmpo, with their 6 inch bass drivers and 2 inch cone tweeters, and sturdy 1/4 inch thick chipboard cabinets. Someone hasn't. Who is to blame for the smoke and confetti? Can one get one's money back?

PMPO is a fabricated number with no significance other than if a product has a PMPO rating, then it is more than likely a piece of crap.

pmpo

:D hi guys,

pmpo on amplifier is just a marketing hype used on low quality amps. they usually have a constant # to use, say 200, so if the amp is rated at 50w the pmpo is 1,000w. :) :) :) :) :mrgreen:

can you imagine how big the power supply of a 1,000w amp?

PMPO is the power an amplifier can deliver when fed with a square wave and should be 2 x RMS power it can deliver.

You may think that 0.5 PMPO would then give you the sine wave rating, but that cannot define the distortion, so PMPO is a con trick.

PMPO = Pure Mystical Power Output :D

I've seen hundreds of speakers (especially for PCs) that have PMPO of 200W (at least; some go even up to 1000W!) and they are no bigger than a PC mouse! Not to mention the price - starts at 5€.

PMPO is just a way of attracting customers to buy the product. This works amaizingly well on children (and some adults also) --> "WOOOOW!!! Look at these speakers, they have 500 Watts!!!"

As phalanx nicely said, if a product has a PMPO rating, then it is most likely just a piece of crap! Man I hate those 4 letters together :evil:

sounds to me like a PMPO rating exists partially because, the general public probably doesn't understand how to work with real output powers and RMS calculations etc... If these points get masked enough, anyone can match the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back