Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I put 16 Mosfets in parallel to get 1600 watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

Can I put 16 power mosfets in parallel IRF3710 I need 1500 watts.

Would be be better to use larger devices to get 1500?

TWO 810 Tubes will give me 1500 watts but I have no circuit drawing for this and i need a 1500 vdc power supply.

Any suggestions for the best way to build a 1500 watt induction heater?

If they are properly balanced and working withing their specified SOA range then yes.

Are you needing 1500 watts dissipation capacity or 1500 volts working or both? It makes a difference when you are specing a 57 amp 100 volt rated mosfet Vs a .425 amp 2500 volt tube.

I don't know if 1500 watts is enough or too much. I need to heat some 3/4" steel rods red hot and also some 1.25" pipe red hot to make metal parts. I have a couple of 810 tubes I just wondered if they would work.

I have some pretty large SCRs or something probably in the 600 amp range with 3/4" threads to bolt it to a heat sink. The bradded terminals are 1/2" diameter. No part number so I'm not sure what these are or if I can use them.

oops I clicked the wrong button.

41v3mAYO8OL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:
You Don't Need all Those Mosfets!

What circuit are you using?

Of course you can, I did something very similar with a constant current source. Had all the N MOSFETs in parallel to help ease the load on any one transistor. Works like a charm!

MitchElectronics

So are you actually doing any numbers behind this concept or are you just tossing things together and seeing if anyone here thinks it might actually work?

Right now I am getting a strong impression that most of this is just toss and hope rather than calculate and construct. :(

So are you actually doing any numbers behind this concept or are you just tossing things together and seeing if anyone here thinks it might actually work?
Right now I am getting a strong impression that most of this is just toss and hope rather than calculate and construct. :(

I did my best to get this right but I would appreciate it if someone would check to see if there are mistakes.

I know from experience from putting transistors in parallel a small resistor is required on each transistor to prevent 1 transistor from trying to take the full current load of all 10. The 1.5 ohm resistor should limit current to 10 amps on each transistor with 15 vdc from the power supply. That should be 150 watts per mosfet.

I am not sure the zener diode can handle the Gate current of 10 mosfets. I might need a larger higher current diode or 10 diodes in parallel.

I did my best to get this right but I would appreciate it if someone would check to see if there are mistakes.

I know from experience from putting transistors in parallel a small resistor is required on each transistor to prevent 1 transistor from trying to take the full current load of all 10. The 1.5 ohm resistor should limit current to 10 amps on each transistor with 15 vdc from the power supply. That should be 150 watts per mosfet.

I am not sure the zener diode can handle the Gate current of 10 mosfets. I might need a larger higher current diode or 10 diodes in parallel.

Each Mosfet should have a 0.1 Ohm Source Resistor and an 82 or 100 Ohm Gate resistor.
These ARE REQUIRED to Equalize Current to all the mosfets.

This is the original circuit drawing I found online. The video shows that the circuit works. **broken link removed**

Well for 1500 Watts, you Need to Beef it Up.
And your COIL will Need to be WATER COOLED.

If you are trying to make a high powered induction heater perhaps watching this would be of some benefit.

Rotary induction heater. Pretty slick. :cool:

If you put so many in parallel they will be slow to switch. Look at one like this:
https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/149/FDP075N15A-348128.pdf
Instead of doing your own inductor use 2 of these 4mh in parallel.
https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/358/typ_DENO-42113.pdf
When you say 1500 watts, do you mean the power in the part you are trying to heat?
I'm not sure you can get that much out of these designs, but you can probably get 500 or 600 watts.
PS. I don't think your new circuit is as good as the old center tapped one with the single inductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back