Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Water Based power Storage System

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmtech

Banned
Most Helpful Member
Love reading the stuff on this site. More interesting ideas to explore on my own time! :)

Anyway, anyone work with water storage systems used to store energy?

The reason I ask is that I have a stream less than 150 ft from my house and about 40 ft lower in elevation. Plus I have hill behind my house with about 60 ft higher elevation at the top.
The hose run is around 400 ft top to bottom.
I already have brass/stainless steel positive displacement gear pumps that also make good water motors and start at less than 5 psi head pressure.
And I have a lot of 1.5 inch ID irrigation line too so flow rates can be reasonable.

How much power can I produce from the elevation drop of 100 ft?

Say I want to produce 1 kw returnable energy at 70% system return efficiency. How many gallons of water have to flow down the hill to get that 1 kw of usable power?

Any thoughts?

This is just a feasablility question. I Dont plan to build it unless its going to give a resonable energy storage without having to use a million gallons of water to make it work!

If you work in SI units then it is much simpler.

Energy stored = mgh.
m=Mass
g=gravity (9.81m/s²)
h=height (30m)

So, to store 1000 watts (Joules) would require 1000/9.81/30 Liters of water = ~3½ Liters.

However, I suspect that you actually mean 1kWh which would require 3,600 times as much or roughly 12,500 Liters. (~3000 gallon)

That amount seems excessive, maybe someone should check my maths.:D

Edit, Maybe someone that understands imperial units could confirm the answer.

Mike.

Last edited:
Certainly much more practical to do with a pond than with a tank. If you have some land at the 'top', a pond isn't that huge... 1/2 acre-foot (1/10 acre 5ft deep) is 0.5M liters +/-, or 1kW for 150+ hours. Losses in 400ft of 1.5 inch line might be substantial (you're moving 60 gpm), and I didn't account anything for motor or generator losses. And your soil might take some too.

1Kw flow rate ....

Approximate calculation of water flow that would be required in order to generate 1 kw, at 100 ft. vertical drop .....friction loss not included:

1kw=738 (ft-lbf)/sec = P lbf/in2 * 144in2/ft2 * Q ft3/sec

use P = 43 psi, corresponding to 100 ft, and solve for Q

giving Q = 0.12 ft3/sec = 54 gal/min

However, at 54 gpm flow rate, and a 400 ft. pipe run, using 1.5 in pipe, the head loss due to friction is prohibitive. See:
Pipe loss
By using 3" PVC the friction head loss at 50 gpm, and with a 400 ft pipe length is only about 3.6 ft, or equivalently, 1.6 psi loss.

Generator efficiency should be reasonably high, and not require any additional system modifications.

Ah... Interesting!

I should have stated the return was 1 kwh at any time frame of reason. Not 1kw per hour!
I do have enough space for a small pond say 60' * 60' * 10' plastic lined of course.
Actual volume estimates at 36000cu ft. or 269298 gallons.

Asuming the 3000 gallon per kwh is close I would have roughly 89 KWH storable energy.
Subtract line loss and motor/generator efficiency and I could possibly expect say 50 to 60 kwh usable?

Math related: We are americans, we avoid simple and practical at all cost! just look at our pollitics, and product designs! Ever wonder where Rube Goldburg got his inspiration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back