Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wallbox project charging electric car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I wanted an opinion on an idea that came to me ...

I would like to design and build a Wallbox to charge Type1 and Type2 electric cars ... obviously for educational purposes only ...

Given that I am a programmer with experience in programming ATMEL microprocessors, sensors, displays etc ...

but I have no experience on power electronics and I don't know how to proceed ...

Someone kindly, can you give me links or suggestions of wiring diagrams to follow even basic ones,
which I would then enrich with micro processor display control etc

Thank you.

Not really sure but think all you would need is a way to change the end plug, where it goes into the car. Since type 1 is single phase only and type 2 is capable of both single and three phase. The type 2 will work with single phase, BUT at a lower charge rate. You didn't say what country your in, but again not sure, don't cars sold in countries having single phase only have type 1 receptacles? No matter where they originated?

Hello everyone,

I wanted an opinion on an idea that came to me ...

I would like to design and build a Wallbox to charge Type1 and Type2 electric cars ... obviously for educational purposes only ...

Given that I am a programmer with experience in programming ATMEL microprocessors, sensors, displays etc ...

but I have no experience on power electronics and I don't know how to proceed ...

Someone kindly, can you give me links or suggestions of wiring diagrams to follow even basic ones,
which I would then enrich with micro processor display control etc

Thank you.
Good luck. Aim for resonant LLC switching topology.

Aim for resonant LLC switching topology.
?? Standard Type 1 & Type 2 chargers have a mass of safety interlocking and monitoring electronics, but other than that pretty much just pass AC mains straight through while enabled.

There is no power conversion, other than a small PSU for the monitor and display part.

One with the lid off in the image below, grabbed from a charger installation video on youtube.
The AC input is the largest green terminal block at the lower right of the PCB.

EV_Charger.jpg

?? Standard Type 1 & Type 2 chargers have a mass of safety interlocking and monitoring electronics, but other than that pretty much just pass AC mains straight through while enabled.

There is no power conversion, other than a small PSU for the monitor and display part.

One with the lid off in the image below, grabbed from a charger installation video on youtube.
The AC input is the largest green terminal block at the lower right of the PCB.

View attachment 129859
lol, I though this box contains rectification and switching topolgy for up 800V to charge car battery...
hm, mistake was made

I though this box contains rectification and switching topolgy for up 800V to charge car battery
That's all built in to the car system, so it can regulate the power in to the battery.

The Tesla "Supercharger" tye machines may be different, but for home use it's just AC at up to 32A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back