Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage to Frequency Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.
V2F afterwards

Hi

I have built a small V2F converter based on AD654. I am getting a fairly linear variation of the frequency with voltage.

The purpose of my circuit is to display temperature from a NTC thermistor onto 2-7seg displays without use of ADC chip or a micro controller.

So i decided on V2F. Now i plan to give the frequency output of the V2F to 2-4bit counters. My requirement is in range of 5 to 50'C only. Can anyone help me with how to do other connections to the counter chip(4029).

I have given the V2F output to clock on units counter. When the units counter makes 1010 i reset it and increment the tens counter.

But if i leave the other pins, the counter will keep on counting...So i believe i have to enable the counter for a specific period of time only and disable otherwise. Can anyone help me in calculating this time

Or is there an easier way to do what i want to do(the bigger picture)?
ANy help is greatly appreciated.

thnx

Hi

I have built a small V2F converter based on AD654. I am getting a fairly linear variation of the frequency with voltage.

The purpose of my circuit is to display temperature from a NTC thermistor onto 2-7seg displays without use of ADC chip or a micro controller.

So i decided on V2F. Now i plan to give the frequency output of the V2F to 2-4bit counters. My requirement is in range of 5 to 50'C only. Can anyone help me with how to do other connections to the counter chip(4029).

I have given the V2F output to clock on units counter. When the units counter makes 1010 i reset it and increment the tens counter.

But if i leave the other pins, the counter will keep on counting...So i believe i have to enable the counter for a specific period of time only and disable otherwise. Can anyone help me in calculating this time

Or is there an easier way to do what i want to do(the bigger picture)?
ANy help is greatly appreciated.

thnx

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/08/cd74hc390.pdf
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/08/sn74hc574.pdf
https://www.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/1981.pdf

You will need a counter gate circuit to gate and reset your counter chips or they will just count up non-stop without a reset. The attached should give you an idea. Also the power pins for the NAND are not shown. Anyway, this should give you an idea. I did not overly look at your counter.

Ron

Attachments

• Counter Gate Ckt.gif
    Counter Gate Ckt.gif
    15.7 KB · Views: 204
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back