Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage to current converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meach

Hello,

I currently need to control a signal whose current can be up to 500mA with a 2V voltage, from a digital signal (8-bit).
So at first I was thinking of using basically a current-output 8-bit DAC but I am not able to find such a DAC from Analog Device (It is compulsory for me to use chips from them because of a partnership with them).

So I was looking for another solution. Then I thought that using a voltage-output DAC and after an active voltage-current inverter (using an op amp).
But as I read on forums or website, this solution for the inverter is mostly use for getting a current from 4mA to 20mA (which you can understand is too low for my project).

What do you think about that? Do you think it is a good idea to continue to dig into that direction? Also I am wondering if the speed of the voltage-current inverter can be enough for my application (I am not sure about it but the frequency should be around 20MHz).

Thank you for your answers and possible ideas.

If the inverter you have found will produce a 4-20 mA output and you need more, why not cascade to another amplifier and increase it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back