Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage Monitor - SPI Pullup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuchy143

Hi All,

I am modifying a voltage monitor matrix where they have used chip select on the part coupled with the SDATA lines to create each VMON chip to be addressable by the FPGA. I didn't write the VHDL but there is some type of state machine in the FPGA that "takes care" of this. Just want to give some history as to what I am trying to do.

So, essentially I am adding in another VMON chip into the matrix and I'm a little confused by the pullup resistor used and want to see if someone knows why? I know that it is good to either pullup/pulldown the mosi line due to it not always being asserted and could be floating. SPI is a totem pole so I didn't think we need the pullup/pulldowns right?

My main question is why when 3 chips share a dataline they don't need a pull up and when there is only a single chip a pullup is needed?

I made a visio so we can chat about it a little more easily. I am thinking it may have to do with how SPI works which I haven't had a ton of experience with. Maybe something with loading or whatever when you only have a single chip on the data line. Anyway, any light you all can please shine on this would be very helpful.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Untitled22.png
    Untitled22.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back