Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage doubler

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopper

i would like to power up a system which need 3.7V dc and 350mA.

Now, i have an input of 2V,can i use a voltage doubler to power up the system??

If cant,any solution to this problem?

Is the 2V input DC? You'll need a DC to DC boost converter, your power requirements aren't that steep there are plenty of IC's out there that can do it. Linear makes some IC's that should fit your needs. If your input is AC (though I don't see how it can be) you can use a step up transformer and then a bridge rectifier, but at those voltages it's going tobe very inefficient. A good DC-DC boost converter will be 80% or better efficient.

A good DC-DC boost converter will be 80% or better efficient.
I would hazard a guess that there are no IC boost regs that can hold 80% efficiency boosting 2v (0.6A) up to 3.7V @ 350 mA. The peak currents on the 2V supply would go through the switches. Like I said, it's theoretically possible but I think the efficiency would be pretty bad. 60% would actually be pretty good for this. I believe Maxim has the biggest selection of low voltage boost ICs.

Last edited:
i forgot to mention,the input is 2V ac
So a bridge rectifier will get you 2.8 Volts DC and you will still need a low voltage DC-DC converter with all the same problems mentioned by bountyhunter. Where is the cockamamie requiremnt coming from?

So how about a 1:1.5 stepup transformer that gets you to 3VAC, a bridge rectifier gets you 4.24VDC and a 3-terminal LDO that brings it back to 3.7VDC -- simple and straightforward - eh?

Last edited:
Two half wave rectifiers on opposite half cycles will get him 5V with schottky diodes.

Mike.

The one I'm thinking of gives ±2.5V either side of one of the AC lines. See attached.

Mike.

Attachments

• Doubler.png
    Doubler.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 316
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back