Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage Clamping Circuit need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

panfilero

I need to make a circuit that limits the voltage range in two direction, my range can't fall below 3.9V and can't go over 5.3V... does anyone know how I could make this? I've been thinking about using Zeners, but I see how that would be spiffy for one direction say a 3.9Vz but once I start going the other way I'd be limited by the Zener's forward voltage... around 0.7V... which is not good...

I need to be within 200mV of my target...

thank you

I need to make a circuit that limits the voltage range in two direction, my range can't fall below 3.9V and can't go over 5.3V... does anyone know how I could make this? I've been thinking about using Zeners, but I see how that would be spiffy for one direction say a 3.9Vz but once I start going the other way I'd be limited by the Zener's forward voltage... around 0.7V... which is not good...

I need to be within 200mV of my target...

thank you

Lots of ways, one is to have two voltage rails at say 4.5V (= 3.9 + 0.6) and 4.7V (= 5.3 - 0.6), two diodes (assuming 600mV forward drop) and say a 4k7 resistor. You can refine it.

I'm sorry you lost me...

Are you saying something like... get two zeners, a 3.9 and a 5.3, put them in series with one another but pointing in opposite directions... and put that 2 zener combo in parallel with my load?

So in one direction it would be 3.9 + 0.6 and in the other direction it would be 5.3 + 0.6... basically Zener Fwd Drop + Zener Voltage in both directions...

Are Zeners ok to use in a fwd drop voltage limiting kinda way?

much thanks

Zener voltage varies a lot and also depends on current. You are better off using a variable zener TL431 which enable you to trim the voltage easily.

I throw up the following circuit to see if it fits your requirement.

voltage_limiter-png.28604

Attachments

• Voltage_Limiter.png
    Voltage_Limiter.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 679
About the best you can do without using an op-amp. V3 has to regulate when back-fed, so R2 provides a minimum load on it. Clipping levels at both ends adjustable by varying V1 and V3.

Attachments

• Clipper.jpg
    Clipper.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 234
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back