Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voice Recording On A Chip - Schematic & Pcb Artwork Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I mentioned, a project using the HK828 is in the June EPE.

Hi mneary,

I looked it up but the article reveals nothing. There is just a link pointing to the Starship Enterprise door sound. I guess, that's not what the OP wants.

Anyway, having the schematic of the project would probably make things easier for a different design just matching cobra's needs.

Regards

Hans

Sorry it appears that you need to be a subscriber, or at least purchase the issue.

Last edited:
Voice recording chip

Hi Stuart,

of course I meant to make a complete design for you.

I'm retired and have lots of time for that reason.

I'm not worried about the parts I'm going to be using for the hardware. There are tons of tactile DPDT switches available here in Thailand. They are very small and I opened one of them to have a good look at the digestionals of it. The contacts are gold plated and ensure proper connection.

If you can't get them at your location, I'll ship a bag of them to you.

I think it would be a good idea to chat about the design, e.g. use on board switches or just cable connectors for door, light etc. switches of your car.

You can contact me via MSN-messenger (hjzelec2008@hotmail.de) or at Skype (hermanthegerman421)

The random access mode addresses different recordings. I'll study the data sheet thoroughly to find out if the chips can be cascaded, since they are limited to 60 seconds.

Regards

Hans

Last edited:
Sorry it appears that you need to be a subscriber, or at least purchase the issue.

That's what I think. If you are subscriber why not make a few screen dumps and post them here?

Thanks boncuk.
Yes I will contact you on the hotmail,I managed to pull these pics for the
star trek thingy (Attached).

If we could go the way of pcb connectors on the board design, I could
then wire the vehicle switches to them.
I dont mind a large board of say upto 6" x 4" (limited by my uv box), as there are many places in the car to house it.

As you say, taking this design and adjusting it to my needs sounds good.
Still not sure if i understood the HK828 datasheet correctly, are there 8
seperate message storage points with random mode ?.

Thanks to mneary for the HK828 info, and of course to boncuk
for your time , help, and outstanding kindness.

Attachments

• PAGE0.jpg
    PAGE0.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 322
  • PAGE1.jpg
    PAGE1.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 303
  • PAGE2.jpg
    PAGE2.jpg
    538.9 KB · Views: 308
  • PAGE3.jpg
    PAGE3.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 254
  • PAGE4.jpg
    PAGE4.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 279
  • SCHEME1.jpg
    SCHEME1.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 413
Voice recording chip

Hi Stuart,

the Random Access Mode of the HK282 allows real random access to every storage register. The maximum totat record/playback duration depends on the value of "OscR". With a value of 38K the sampling rate is 6,4KHz and the time is reduced to 40 secs total. At a value of 84K the sampling rate is reduced to 4.2KHz, but then the max. of 60 secs is achieved.

The chip doesn't have an overflow output and therefor cannot be cascaded.
The Starship "Entenscheiss" (engl. duck ****) sound generator works in the normal tape mode allowing a maximum of 4 different recordings.

I guess that is not what you want. If you want to use the chip for announcements in your car I think you'd be better off with a max of eight different messages, limited to 7.5seconds at 4.2KHz sample rate, which still gives reasonable sound quality for speech.

In the meanwhile I have designed a PCB for random acces mode application. The board size is just 3.35X2.1 inches and it is purely single sided (not even a jump).

All external connections such as switches and indicator LEDs go to a 14-pin right angle box header connector (to keep the board height low). On board is a jumper which allows setting to activate/deactivate the "beep" preceeding each message.

I exported the board as a bmp file and compressed it using 7-Zip. The board also contains a stabilized 5V low voltage dropout supply power with an optimum of spike supression of the car alternator.

The power supply has been tested on board of a motorbyce for an MCU controlled handle (grip) heater with no malfunction of the MCU, so it should work well in a car, too.

BTW, the Starship Enterprise door sounder is not set up for any recording.

Regards

Hans

P.S. No attachment possible for the time being; can't find the button. Somebody obviously played with the software.

Last edited:
You're rather assuming the forum runs under Windows?, it's more probably running under Linux - although it could be either. But in any case, it's unlikely that the files have been deleted, just removed from the forum files index.

It's running *nix of some kind, unless the admin has munged the HTTP headers:

Code:
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 23:51:09 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635
X-Powered-By: PHP/4.4.7

Torben

Voice recording chip

Hi Stuart,

hope the attachment function is working now.

Note: There also the option to connect the car stereo or a separate AF-amplifier to the +SP pin via the box header.

Hans

Attachments

• 60SEC-RECORDER.zip
    144.9 KB · Views: 312
:) :) nix is German slang for NOTHING

Hans

hehe. It's also English slang for "nothing" (noun) or "to eliminate" or "to reject". :)

"*nix" is another way to say "Unix-like operating system" (but I'm guessing you know that).

Torben

Last edited:
A misspelling (mispronunciation?) of nichts?

It is used on purpose just to emphasize "nichts".

Try out in Munich on the Viktualienmarkt (Fruit & Vegetable market). The women there selling their stuff watch it very closely. If you reach out like you were going to steal an apple you'll hear immediately: "Nix da!" :D

Hans

My father used to use nix as part of a phrase that meant "no differance" or "does not matter".

Nix was the first word, do you know what the first word was? Sounded like mox or mocks.

When I was very young I remember undertanding German. As I got older the only words I knew where ones you should not repeat.

Last edited:
When I was very young I remember undertanding German. As I got older the only words I knew where ones you should not repeat.

That's the problem with the youth. Kids tend to learn the nasty words first. :D

When I was in California I often heard the phrase "maks nix", meaning it doesn't matter.

Hi Hans,
Thank you so much for the pcb layout,you work fast my friend.
All of the components look readily available here (oz for the HK828).

But I dont understand one component,and that is the ML16R/A ,what is
this hans ?.

I will probably kick myself when you explain it, but at the moment its not
something I have seen before.

Also if I went for a (line in) input instead of the microphone,would this be a
lot of work to adjust the layout.
I mention this,as I have AT&T voice software to make the announecments,
and I could feed this into the HK828 via a 3.5mm socket.

So really the mic could be left out of the board design, would this be ok
Hans ?.What program did you use to draw the circuit, As I may have it ?.

That way instead of a .Bmp you could maybe zip the original pcb artwork traces and silk.

Thank you for your speedy work on this,you are a good man.
Please let me know If I overstep the mark with my additional
requests though ok hans.

Best regards.

Voice recording chip

Hi Stuart,

I was just going to adivise opening your PC to look for the connectors. They are always used for the Floppy, HDD and ROM connectors. They are commonly called box header (since they are boxed). In my circuit I just the R/A version for a lower profile.

Changing from Mic to auxiallary input shouldn't be a problem. Just omit the Mic and replace wiht a shielded cable to your device for recordings. All pins on the box header are occupied and remaking the entire layouts for both, would ruin the work I've done so far. (All traces are routed manually.)

I'm using Eagle version 4.16 as a schematic and layout editor. You can download the latest version 5.0 at Cadsoft.com free. The size restriction of Eagle light PCBs (normally 3.5X3.5inches) does not apply to ready made circuits. (programmer error :))

The second board is finished and contains all controls and necessary LEDs. I doubt a bit you'll get the same switches I used for each input/output channel. They must be double pole and leave the option to connect external switches for playback. The blayback lines are at the buttom using screw head terminals. You must connect good ground connection to the car chassis.

All switching from the car to the device is made by grounding the appropriate input pin of the HK828. Besides the eight switches I added a rewind button, which you will need in case of a false recording.

As I already mentioned: Feel free to ask me for the switches if you can't get them at your local electronics shop. I'll send you enough to mess up some of them while soldering.

I also added the amplifier circuit directly taken of the Spaceship Enterprise door sounder schematic. If you don't need it just omit the parts around the TDA1905 and the chip itself. In that case use the SP+ labelled solder pad on the board to connect the speaker. You can also omit the three additional jumps on the main board which were necessary to connect the AF-amplifier to the car battery voltage via the 16 pin box header.

The switch board couldn't be made single sided. (Too many twists in the traces because of the switches).

Both boards have exactly the same size and the ribbon cable connector has the same position for a straight ribbon cable to connect both boards. That way they can be sandwich mounted with the switch board on top.

Have a look.

Regards

Hans

Voice recording chip

Hi Stuart,

I was just going to adivise opening your PC to look for the connectors. They are always used for the Floppy, HDD and ROM connectors. They are commonly called box header (since they are boxed). In my circuit I just the 16pin R/A version for a lower profile.

Changing from Mic to auxiallary input shouldn't be a problem. Just omit the Mic and replace with a shielded cable to your device for recordings. All pins on the box header are occupied and remaking the entire layouts for both, would ruin the work I've done so far. (All traces are routed manually.)

I'm using Eagle version 4.16 as a schematic and layout editor. You can download the latest version 5.0 at Cadsoft.com free. The size restriction of Eagle light PCBs (normally 3.5X3.5inches) does not apply to ready made circuits. (programmer error :)) The boards are smaller anyway (3.35X2.1inches)

The second board is finished and contains all controls and necessary LEDs. I doubt a bit you'll get the same switches I used for each input/output channel. They must be double pole and leave the option to connect external switches for playback. The blayback lines are at the buttom using screw head terminals. You must connect good ground connection to the car chassis.

All switching from the car to the device is made by grounding the appropriate input pin of the HK828. Besides the eight switches I added a rewind button, which you will need in case of a false recording.

As I already mentioned: Feel free to ask me for the switches if you can't get them at your local electronics shop. I'll send you enough to mess up some of them while soldering.

I also added the amplifier circuit directly taken of the Spaceship Enterprise door sounder schematic. If you don't need it just omit the parts around the TDA1905 and the chip itself. In that case use the SP+ labelled solder pad on the board to connect the speaker. You can also omit the three additional jumps on the main board which were necessary to connect the AF-amplifier to the car battery voltage via the 16 pin box header.

The switch board couldn't be made single sided. (Too many twists in the traces because of the switches).

Both boards have exactly the same size and the ribbon cable connector has the same position for a straight ribbon cable to connect both boards. That way they can be sandwich mounted with the switch board on top.

Have a look. Thorough instructions to follow if you have decided to build the circuit.

Regards

Hans

Attachments

• TOTAL CIRCUIT.zip
    14.8 KB · Views: 253
My father used to use nix as part of a phrase that meant "no differance" or "does not matter".

Nix was the first word, do you know what the first word was? Sounded like mox or mocks.

the first word was maks, just pronounced mocks or mox in the typical sloppy american way. :D

Translation hint: make = machen. since nix and "macht" (personalized "machen") don't match properly the phrase is "max* nix" or "maks nix". max* pronounced like "mux"

Any more German you want to learn? :D :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back