Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voice control to replace foot pedal on laser welder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veebs

Complete newbie here (so don’t come for me please if I’m in the wrong forum on the wrong website).

I’ve got a desktop Dado laser welder (good times).

The ‘fire’ command is controlled by the foot pedal (similar to a micromotor or sewing machine).

This is all fine if you are sitting down. I have a spine problem (bad times) which means I suffer intense pain if I try to work sitting down.

I can use one hand to push the foot pedal standing up but often I need two hands and using the foot pedal standing up causes too much hip instability (also painful).

Anyway, tech heads, is there a way to create something to replace the foot pedal with a voice controller. So I could just say ‘fire’ to fire the laser. Failing that a voice controlled lever which could then push the foot pedal.

I don’t know about circuits and resistors but I’m nerdy enough to be willing to learn.

If I’m in the wrong part of the internet and you know where I can find the right part of the internet please let me know! Cheers and thanks!

I would imagine it's possible - even 'just' writing an Alexa skill to do it - but I would suggest it's a very bad idea, poor control, and poor reliability. A mechanical switch is tough and reliable, a voice activated circuit could fire accidentally very easily.

I agree with Nigel – any solution using Alexia or Google Home probably won't be satisfactory. In addition to possible false triggering, the delay between speech and action is variable and can be long.

A self-contained "speech recognition" gizmo like this one from Seeed Studios might be just the ticket. It (I believe) and similar devices don't exactly recognize speech, but recognize words (which you may have to teach it). But when it hears "fire", the results should be near instantaneous and predictable. The Seeed device could be used to control a relay module (around $5) with its contacts paralleling the contacts in the foot pedal.

I'd suggest a conventional switch rather than voice; voice would likely be somewhat unreliable or slow, depending how its done.

How about a "chin switch"? A lightweight frame than rests around your shoulders - or attaches to a welding visor?? with an on / off button or buttons that be activated either at the sides of your chin, or below it.

You could even use an accelerometer attached to a visor to detect head movements & use rotation or tilting as commands.

If you must use voice, at least use a non-internet system and with words which have no phonetic similarities - eg. not start / stop.
Such as Start / Finish or Begin / Stop should be a lot more reliable.

Just a thought, instead of saying something to trigger the welder, how about a "sip/puff" switch? They are already available and a proven technology. Just one brand others are available.

Thank you so much for your replies, I will take some time to digest them and then come back with some questions.

I like the idea of the sip/puff.

I’m using a desktop laser welder for jewellery by Dado which is contained inside a cube. It wouldn’t be possible to tilt my head because I am relying on my eyesight through the microscope to focus the laser so I need to keep my head completely still. Possibly I could use my teeth as long as it doesn’t interfere with my eyesight although I also suffer from jaw pain so that might not be the best approach either.

Maybe I can teach my dog to press the pedal! Unlikely…

For some of the ideas mentioned with that mean I need to remove the foot pedal and hook up the laser to one of these other methods?

Thank you very much everybody!
Veebs

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back