Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Video Capture Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

4pyros

Most Helpful Member
Have any of you captured video off a XBox 360 to post to youtube?
My son would like to get into this and has been bugging me for a Capture Device.
I have never looked into this before but would like to get some more info before I buy anything.
I quick look on the web came up with lots of kids hooking cables up to lemons and potatoes. LOL
I really don't have time to dig thru all that crap.
Anyone have any good suggestions on where to start?

Seems to be some good stuff out there like Pinnacle and Diamond, and some real trash.
I need a XBox guy. LOL

Of course, there is the little matter of copyright . Don't be surprised if they come after you or your son :)

Of course, there is the little matter of copyright . Don't be surprised if they come after you or your son :)
Na, these kids do it all the time, on youtube its called "lets play". Have you seen all the MineCraft stuff on youtube?

The main issue is that most of the Xbox's output to the television now through HDMI.

HDMI has built in encryption and protection and part of the HDMI standard is that you can't record a HDMI source therefore any of the devices that are capable of doing so are probably illegal as they don't comply with the HDMI "rules".

I think I got that correct - I remember researching it a while ago.

In the past, I used a Hauppauge HD PVR, to do exactly what the OP (OP's son) requires.
They aren't cheap, but can record and produce HD content for YT uploads.
The Hauppauge connects to the PC via USB for recording and to the Xbox via the component connectors, acting as a pass-through, for displaying to the TV.
There is some noticeable lag when looking at both screens/hearing sounds in real-time, but the recorder does the job perfectly well. I simply turned off the sound from the PC/Hauppauge and concentrated upon the Xbox to TV link.

I ended up getting him a game capture box from Best Buy.
Its made by elgato called "game capture HD" $160.
He is hooking it up now.
I will let you know how it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back