Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sharing video / audio on multiple TVs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spinnaker

I currently live in a two story townhouse where my office is directly above the living room. I have a media center PC in the office with an HDMI splitter. One side goes to the TV in the office. The other side goes to the TV in the living room. This allows we to move from room to room watching the same content.

I am moving to a ranch house (one level house). The living room PC will be too far from the office to run HDMI cables. I looked at wireless HDMI but it looks like their distance is limited and they are also very expensive.

Anyone have any ideas? I left a message on the Kodi (the media center software I am using) forum, I am hoping there is some kind of plugin that will let me do this. I would need to add a Raspberry Pi but it would still be cheaper than those wireless HDMI devices and a lot cheaper too.

Any other ideas how I can share video / audio wirelessly?

How about HDMI over Fiber?

Is one a smart TV?

yeah if one is a smart TV you can host a stream over wifi from your HTPC to your TV.
IF not, there are device to turn your ordinary TV into a "smart TV" - I think Roku might even do that.

yeah if one is a smart TV you can host a stream over wifi from your HTPC to your TV.
IF not, there are device to turn your ordinary TV into a "smart TV" - I think Roku might even do that.

Yes Nigel could clarify but I think as long as your TV has a USB port you can get a dongle to stream from the TV

Nope not a smart TV. So how do I start the stream with Kodi? Will the "satellite" TV have the same Kodi menu? I.E. is what I am seeing on the host in Kodi is what I see in the "satellite"? Does Roku have a wireless interface?

Nope not a smart TV. So how do I start the stream with Kodi? Will the "satellite" TV have the same Kodi menu? I.E. is what I am seeing on the host in Kodi is what I see in the "satellite"? Does Roku have a wireless interface?
Sorry i can't help you out with the specifics. Never heard of kodi and I've never actually streamed video to my TV or to a roku personally.

I only know that it's possible (to stream transcode & stream video over LAN to DLNA smart devices, possibly including roku) because I looked into it sometime ago, maybe 1-2yr ago. I was going to build a htpc but instead bought a synology NAS which has a DLNA server on it. Never actually got around to playing with the streaming though.

Sorry i can't help you out with the specifics. Never heard of kodi and I've never actually streamed video to my TV or to a roku personally.

I only know that it's possible (to stream transcode & stream video over LAN to DLNA smart devices, possibly including roku) because I looked into it sometime ago, maybe 1-2yr ago. I was going to build a htpc but instead bought a synology NAS which has a DLNA server on it. Never actually got around to playing with the streaming though.

What not even a usb port??? thats so last centuary :D

I would go with HDMI over CAT5 such as here.

I would go with HDMI over CAT5 such as here.

I am thinking of going that route. But I have read CAT6 is a better solution.

And I think I am still going to need a solution for the game room. Not sure if I will be able to fish a cable all the way down there from the attic.

They installed a finished ceiling. I wish they installed suspended ceiling instead. Not nearly as nice looking but makes wiring and plumbing a lot easier.

But a little worried the place won't appraise out to the amount I offered. Then I will have a real decision.

I am thinking of going that route. But I have read CAT6 is a better solution.
Yes, CAT6 would be better for long distances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back