Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vibration Switches...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickhead

Hi Guys,

I've had a brief look around and this seems to be the forum to ask questions on, I hope you don't mind another...

I'm in the construction industry and run a Shop Fitting company, more and more tools are battery operated now, even some of the bigger bits of equipment.

Previously when using messy tools you would plug in the dust extractor and plug the tool into the extractor, some voltage load sensing magic happens when you turn on the tool and the extractor fires up!

Now more tools are battery powered there is no physical connection between the tool and extractor apart from a hose!

Initially i thought Bluetooth could be the answer, after all if a selfie stick can tell a phone to take a picture a simple command of on/off should be too much of a struggle, but I know nothing about bluetooth and thought pairing a new tool to the extractor0( or even forgetting to pair!) every 5 minutes might be a pain.

So far I've come up with two idea's for solutions, feel free to add to the pot...

1. A bypass cable for the extractor on/off switch with a cable attached to the hose, a piggy back cable on the machine's switch and simple plug to join the two each machine could have a small plug on it for the cable to plug into.

ISSUES: each machine, multiple manufacturers and tools from routers, sanders, saws etc etc would need to be modified and fitted with a bypass this could and will be awkward to make work on every machine! and you can just pick up a new tool or someone else's tool and go!

2. A bypass cable for the extractors on/off switch with a cable attached to the hose, at the very end of the hose where it attaches to the machine a small vibration sensor or switch that when the machine is switched on it activates...

ISSUES: I know nothing about Vibration Switches,

The extractor I'm using is 110v but some others might be 240v, the tools attached vary in power from 10.8v, 18v, 36v and 54v in the future.

I can get motor capacity etc from the extractor if it helps or makes a difference...

Thanks in advance

Nick

If the extractor is just sensing a load, you could plug a drop light / trouble light into it. When you turn the light on it would start. Try a small appliance if that doesn't work.

If the extractor is just sensing a load, you could plug a drop light / trouble light into it. When you turn the light on it would start. Try a small appliance if that doesn't work.

Do you mean as a bypass to turn it on? It has an option of manual or auto so can be turned on easy enough it's just the auto switching on and off that's the problem, it's amazing how much of issue it is, anything you put in series to counter act it that involves having to "do something" just doesn't work lol

If you detect vibrations or sound to turn it on, the vibrations or sound of the dust extractor might keep it on once energized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back