Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Very Large Frequency Divider

Status
Not open for further replies.

zurshire

Summary/Intro (skip to Bottom Line for quick problem description):

I am building a circuit that only needs to count for 8 hours. As typical, the circuit must be as cheap as possible. The circuit should hold the state as to how many hours have elapsed (i.e. have an output pin high for 1 hour, 2 hour, etc) - I can use a simple small decade counter to hold that state. The more difficult part is counting the hours. It seems to me that counting hours should be a common requirement. I have examined counting circuits based on quartz crystals verses 555 timers and op amp square wave generators. I like the idea of the quartz crystal much better as it requires less external parts and seems more simple and cheaper. The problem is that it requires a ridiculous ammount of counters to divide say a 1Mhz crystal or even a 10Khz crystal down to 1/3600.

Bottom Line:

So, what is the industry standard cheapest way to build an hour counter?

Thanks!

Zan

Since this section of the board is for data sheets/parts requests, Im assuming your looking for data sheets on some type of clock chip ?

Perhaps your question would be better served in the general or design discussion forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back