Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Large stepper motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triode

I got this from a machine someone had torn apart at my school, it was just going to be thrown out. But the motor coils seem to work and the inside is shiny as a new penny. Cant find the specs for what kind of current it likes though.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Probably worth a lot for something they were going to throw out. I can figure out its sequence but what current it can handle and what torque it can be expected to achieve are unknown without a data or spec sheet. I've tried googling those numbers and company name on the back of course, no luck so far.

Gee I hope you didnt pull it apart! :eek: That wrecks stepper motors you know.

It's a NEMA size34, length 2-stack.

They are all rated about the same watts, so you can check the volts/ohms etc of another size34 2-stack motor on the internet and just rate yours at about the same watts, which you can calc from measuring your coil resistance.

Just make sure you get figures from a round body 2-stack in size 34, not the newer "high torque" which are a square body and run at higher watts.

Thanks. And no, i didnt pull it apart, I did take off that plate on the top to look in, but no components are attached to that. I have tested it by putting a small current though the contacts, from a 12V 700ma supply, it moves easily to whichever coil you energise. While I'm sure that's not more than it can handle, I'm trying to find out what it's designed to use.

Last edited:
I got three of these out of some huge IBM printers from work. They are 5V 4 amps. Never got around to hooking them up, no 4 amp power supply...

Attachments

• Stepper01.jpg
    Stepper01.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 528
  • Stepper02.jpg
    Stepper02.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 406
  • Stepper03.jpg
    Stepper03.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 488
That motor does look very similar to mine. Even if I had a 4A power supply though, I'm not sure what I would use a motor this large for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back