Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vernacular versus Learned Terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is an unneeded phrase that does not do the job as well as EVA did. Besides being falsely descriptive. That means pollution to me.

Well of course you're entitled to your opinion. I just disagree.

When I first heard it, I did. I could not believe an outfit like NASA would countenance such a phrase. Of course I got used to what they meant after a while.

I am truly sorry to hear that :rolleyes:

As I said before. It displaced a better description with a description that was deceptive.

As I said, it probably has not displaced anything--it's simply an easier phrase to describe the same thing. EVA could mean any number of things, and I think that would be more confusing to hear than "space walks" since it has so many more meanings.

Hi,

Space walk simply means to leave the vehicle while still floating in space and they dont necessarily have to actually walk. They probably just wanted to make it sound more friendly to boost human relations so people dont gripe as much about funding :) Wonder how long it took them to come up with that phrase.
I dont think that is as bad though as some of the things i've been hearing lately. Some of this stuff sounds like it was thought up by some first graders.

Oh ok, so 'node' was to mean a file. That's really nuts. Glad i wasnt there for that one i got on board later :)

Space walk simply means to leave the vehicle while still floating in space and they dont necessarily have to actually walk. They probably just wanted to make it sound more friendly to boost human relations so people dont gripe as much about funding :) Wonder how long it took them to come up with that phrase.
I dont think that is as bad though as some of the things i've been hearing lately. Some of this stuff sounds like it was thought up by some first graders.

I agree with you, MrAl. I know exactly what you mean! :D

Oh ok, so 'node' was to mean a file. That's really nuts. Glad i wasnt there for that one i got on board later :)

Yeah, that doesn't seem to make much sense to me. I don't see how a file has anything to do with the meaning of "node", whereas "space walk" and that sort of thing is at least close to the actual meaning. I wonder why they came up with that instead of just "file" :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back