Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Metric versus Imperial Phrases

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownOut

Banned
Americans having to use metric measurement systems is the small price we pay for requiring the rest of the world to speak english.
Rather, we requrie the world to speak 'American'

Americans having to use metric measurement systems is the small price we pay for requiring the rest of the world to speak english.
Rather, we requrie the world to speak 'American'

hi D,
Never had a problem in understanding our American cousins.:D

My early technical tuition was before the SI [ metric] system and was a real pain calculating problems in Imperial units.

We had 'units' which were not related in a decimalised way, calculating problems was a real chore.

I now prefer the metric system.

Eric

Oh come on, the English system is all based on body parts. An inch is the distance between the thumb knuckle and the tip of the finger and the foot, well, the human foot and then the knot which is based on a real knot in a piece of rope.

No idea where the number 12 came from. Possibly because you could successfully divide things by 2 and by 2 again and by 2 again until you get to 1/128" of an inch. I didn't mind mills and thousandths when machining things, but I kept having to look at the pesky table for fractions to decimal equivalents. Now start using 5/8" milling cutters.

hi D,
Never had a problem in understanding our American cousins.:D

My early technical tuition was before the SI [ metric] system and was a real pain calculating problems in Imperial units.

We had 'units' which were not related in a decimalised way, calculating problems was a real chore.

I now prefer the metric system.

Eric

I am comfortable with either system. But it's more fun to say, "I"m going to the pub and have a pint with the boys" than to say ".... and have half a liter...." It just doesn't translate as well :)

Last edited:
Yes, there is an amount of colloquialism there. For example, I'm sure the saying "the whole nine yards" will never become "the whole nine meters". BTW, that saying comes from the nine yards of belt ammo WWII fighter pilots used to carry on- board. I learned that recently and though that it was interesting.

That is interesting. I really only heard that phrase while I was in the army. (maybe once or twice in the 30 years after)

BTW, that saying comes from the nine yards of belt ammo WWII fighter pilots used to carry on- board. I learned that recently and though that it was interesting.

I always wondered about that. Thanks for telling us!

Now that we're drifting slightly off topic.... :D

Brownout, in the states it's common to say 'a beer' not a pint or a liter of even 12 ounces.. The measurement is inferred not defined.

Last edited:
I am comfortable with either system. But it's more fun to say, "I"m going to the pub and have a pint with the boys" than to say ".... and have half a liter...." It just doesn't translate as well :)

hi D,
No self respecting English guy would go into a local pub and order a half a litre, a litre maybe.!

No, Pints are the real man's drink.:rolleyes:, used to be a 'Glass' for the girls.

Don't forget the inchworm.

Of course, "inch" can be used as both a noun and a verb -- as can almost any noun in English. Are there any metric measures commoningly used as verbs? Instead of "inching" along in traffic, what is the metric equivalent? Edit: Meter obviously has several meanings, but metering along would seem a fast pace, not slow.

John

Last edited:
Yes, there is an amount of colloquialism there. For example, I'm sure the saying "the whole nine yards" will never become "the whole nine meters". BTW, that saying comes from the nine yards of belt ammo WWII fighter pilots used to carry on- board. I learned that recently and though that it was interesting.

Thanks for spurring me on to look it up. This Wikipedia discussion is even more interesting. See the footnote relative to the actual length of the ammunition belt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_whole_nine_yards

John

Almost any noun can be used as a verb in American English and, I believe, British English too. Thus, we have Borked (related to the confirmation hearings for Judge Bork), Xeroxed (Xerox) and so forth. Such verbs come and go. You may not recall the meaning of Borked, cellophaned, or Technicolored. I was not talking merely about units of dimension.

"Almost" does not mean all.

John

Almost any noun can be used as a verb in American English and, I believe, British English too. Thus, we have Borked (related to the confirmation hearings for Judge Bork), Xeroxed (Xerox) and so forth. Such verbs come and go. You may not recall the meaning of Borked, cellophaned, or Technicolored. I was not talking merely about units of dimension.

Don't forget "googled" and "facebooked" :D

I still have trouble visualizing things in metric. When I hear someone say he was about 2 meters tall I picture a munchkin from the lollipop guild.

**broken link removed**

I just find metric easier due to the fact that all electronics is metricized. Imaging having 16 ohms to a pohm!! And, please, no one mention the most ridiculous BTUs.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back