Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Variable input/Variable output frequency divider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rmpede

Qualifications: I've fixed a few electronic devices, not fixed many more. Never built anything from scratch. Know one component from another, with vague-to-reasonable understanding of them.

I need to build a device that converts a variable-frequency 5V/50% duty cycle square wave to the same spec except at half the frequency. Input frequency 0 - 250Hz. It's an automotive application, and if necessary I can give a full, long description.

Many thanks.

A **broken link removed** with q-bar wired to D

From the data sheet: CD4013
Connect ground and +5V supply.
Send your 250hz square wave into CP input.
The first Q=1/2 frequency.
Not needed but the second Q=1/4 frequency and the 3rd Q=1/8 frequency.
It will work at almost any frequency.
upload_2016-2-27_21-23-38.png

A **broken link removed** with q-bar wired to D

Mike:
Thanks for the extremely quick reply. Unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable enough about electronics to decipher your answer. I found a data sheet for the 4013 and puzzled through it a bit. Then I dug through Google and found what a Q-bar is. Then Ron Simpson's post came up, explaining what all this was about and your answer became clear.
One question is, why do you suggest the Q-bar output as opposed to Ron Simpson’s Q?

Bob

From the data sheet: CD4013
Connect ground and +5V supply.
Send your 250hz square wave into CP input.
The first Q=1/2 frequency.
Not needed but the second Q=1/4 frequency and the 3rd Q=1/8 frequency.
It will work at almost any frequency.
View attachment 97803

Oops. Screwed up my initial response. I'm not used to this format.

Ron:
Thanks for the quick reply. Your description makes perfect sense but, due to my ignorance I need some clarification. My main question is, where do I connect the ground and power? From your schematic it looks like I just tap off the Q on flip-flop One and run that to where it needs to go, correct? Also, are there any other questions I should be asking about this?

Bob

Her ya go.
images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back