Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

valves for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

Hi all I have a ton on old valves my dad got years ago and never used. is there anybody out there that would be interested in buying any ?
I can hav a full list up soon if people are interested, I am in the UK and obviously it is easier to post them in the UK than to ther countries but if you don't mind the possible extra expense of them going abroad then I don't mind.

I'm glad it gave you a laugh yea they are outdated I think some are like 100 years old they might be some people around with old radios that they like to keep running and need spares for I have no use for them and my dad does not really do any more electronics

List them on EBAY you may be able to make some money selling them to people who restore old radios.

oh I thoughtn I changed that location ages ago no I moved I'll make it UK

how do I list them on ebay without having a time limit they're joking if I'm going to pay 90 pence every time to reinlist, I'm not sure how it works but I know it can be done. I'm not an ebay fan and with all the phishing mail in the name of ebay and paypal I worry i'll end up lossing some money somewhere

Thunderchild said:
how do I list them on ebay without having a time limit they're joking if I'm going to pay 90 pence every time to reinlist, I'm not sure how it works but I know it can be done.

I don't think you can have an auction that just runs forever... perhaps if you don't make it an auction but instead make it "buy it now" only.

ebay wants their money, now more than ever, since they grossly overpaid those crooks at skype.

what happened with skye ?
yea a buy now thing is what I need I don't want to auction them
is that a setting in a standard account ? point is I have like 500-1000 I can't list every single one if I put up a generic listing I'd have to reinlist every time I sell one how should I do it ?
how much is a valve from the 50s or 60s worth ? some are from the 20s and 30s and 40s

Nigel Goodwin said:
You might try mentioning what the valves are?, some are quite sort after - many aren't!.

I'll get a list on as soon as possible

Worth ..........

Thunderchild said:
what happened with skye ?
yea a buy now thing is what I need I don't want to auction them
is that a setting in a standard account ? point is I have like 500-1000 I can't list every single one if I put up a generic listing I'd have to reinlist every time I sell one how should I do it ?
how much is a valve from the 50s or 60s worth ? some are from the 20s and 30s and 40s

I think you should investigate their worth on Ebay by typing in "radio tubes" and do a search. And look at completed sales to get an idea of what is selling and for what price.
There are a lots for sale, mostly in small lots (no pun intended). Are your tubes new or used, if you don't know then you cant expect much. The first thing you need to do is to make an inventory.

they are all new my dad was a big enthusiast once and bought boxes of them new from shops closing or shifting stock but never used them I'll do a search and start making the inventory, unfortunately I personally know very little about valves my dads the expert he'll tell me what they are for and when they were made mostl;y they will be radio valves I think especially the pre 1950s ones

Looking at the "Vintage electronics" section on ebay shows that some valve auctions are currently getting bids of up to about £60 for a few rare audio power amplifier types whereas other ordinary ones are only going for pence.

Perhaps you could mix some up into a few lots of 20-30 valves or so and see how they go in auction. The "buy it now" option could be used later when you have found how much people are willing to pay.

If you do have any audio amp valves, they may be worth selling separately.
Types such as ecc83, el34, ecl86 appear to be very sought after on there.

It may also be worth checking some valve collector's web sites to see if you have some rare ones.

HM yes i need to check valve sites my dad has just showed me the difference between a 1940s and 1960s EL32 same valve just different body suppose the 1940s type is worth more,

where can I go for cross references I have a mullard valve box with a BVA part number of the valve (BVA - X143 (EF22 - MULLARD) but the EL32 is marked on the valve with mullard and BVA so suppose one made for the other or mullard was the standard of reference numbers

to mention the first few:

BVA - X143 (EF22 - MULLARD)

MULLARD - EL32

MULLARD - EB34 (X2)

MULLARD - EF37A (x3) + 1 WITH BROKEN CENTRE PIN

MULLARD - EF36

MULLARD EBC33

MULLARD - ECH35 USED BROKEN CENTRE PIN

MULLARD - ECC33

MULLARD - EF8

MULLARD EF9 (X2)

BVA was something like "British Valve Association" - and was where you used to send any faulty valves for replacement under guarantee - either Mullard or Mazda.

I never really understood what BVA were, but I don't think they were a manufacturer?.

The numbering on those valves is 'Pro-Electron', just like used on European transistors.

E - means a 6.3V heater
L - is an audio output pentode.
C - is a triode
B - is a diode
3 - is an octal base.

So EBC33 is a 6.3V heater, diode triode, with an octal base - the last number just signifies the particular valve type.

8 - as a base, means B9A, the most 'modern' of the valve bases, although octal was still used for larger power valves like the EL34 (6.3V heater audio power pentode, octal base). EL84 is a smaller audio power pentode, with a B9A base.

I've had the opportunity or misfortune of handling several collections of old valves/tubes. One collection was largely pulls from television and AM radios - 50's and 60's stuff - not really collector's items, not something anyone would want. Another collection was new and used (know the original owner, anything bad was tossed out) tubes from military/amateur radio equipment from 40's thru 60's - a more valuable collection.

You might sort some, as best you can, possibly into older and newer. If you can, identify common applications for the items - then possibly inquire with specific collectors groups, if they exist. An example, valves used in military gear are likely to be sought by folks who restore old military gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back