Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using this Light Bulbs !

Status
Not open for further replies.

watzmann

Hi All ,

As i'm doing a reserch in the electronic filed and need to point out some benfits for having the light bulbs , i thought beside do googling to post this question here and sure it would be so really exciting to know your opinion . ,

so please let me know what is the advatnages and disadvantages of using the light bulbs from your point of view .

I guess it will be a very nice discussion here and to get us a little bit out of the techinical electronics details .

Thanks

What light bulbs?

Maybe he's talking about incandescent versus fluorescent.

If that's so, I'd say fluorescent wins. They use way less power, and put out the same amount of light. Plus, they can now emit the same 'warm' light as incandescents do. (People don't generally like the cold light in a house). The dimming problem has also been solved. You can buy fluorescents that are perfectly dim-able.

If that's what we're talking about then the single biggest problem with florescent is the mercury content. In general on a small scale it's not a problem, if EVERYTHING used flouresecent lighting the addition general mercury in the environment would add up, mercury sticks around quiet readily.

Thanks for your contributions , actually i meant electrical light in general and what was the impact of using it in our life instead of the regular and old oil lambs

for exmaple i think it's more safe and clean - what do you think ?

do you think it caused some pollution for the sightseeing ?

Thanks

Thanks for your contributions , actually i meant electrical light in general and what was the impact of using it in our life instead of the regular and old oil lambs

for exmaple i think it's more safe and clean - what do you think ?

do you think it caused some pollution for the sightseeing ?

Thanks

Most of us aren't old enough to have used any other form of artificial lighting. During power outages or camping, might use candles or gas/oil lanterns for a brief time. I don't think there are too many around that didn't grow up using electric lighting on a daily basis, as did most of our parents. It's been around for quite some time...

Sure we are not old enough to had this old lighting system experiance but in the same time we can think and imagine how it was like .

Thanks

so please let me know what is the advatnages and disadvantages of using the light bulbs from your point of view .
I'll try to answer:
Advantages:
1. Produces heat if you need it
2. Doesn't contain dangerous chemicals
3. The glower produced is eye-friendly (bright white incandescent ones can make you dazzled and there are some studies citing its effect on our eyes, I'm not sure if it's that significant anyway)

Disadvantages:
1. Inefficient
2. Burns out easily IIn my experience)
3. Being a thin glass container, it can easily shatter when subjected to force. (This sounds funny even to me) :D
4. bulky compared to LEDs
5. If you don't like being in a hot environment, then it heats up an area. If you like it hot, then it's good, I suppose.

I think it's too obvious an answer if you're doing analysis at more complex levels. Sorry if this doesn't help. :)

I just put up some Tiki torches on my deck, and lit them up yesterday. They are awesome! I can't imagine any artificial lighting technology that can create the effect of this ancient method.

Sounds Good

but do you think that we have any disadvantages for having our homes and cities lighted all the time , do you think that cause you to work more and feel stressed for example ? - is it out of our nature ?

Thanks

Definitely. I can't see many stars at night. There is no place in the eastern US you can drive far enough to get away from the lights to do any real star gazing.

I just put up some Tiki torches on my deck, and lit them up yesterday. They are awesome! I can't imagine any artificial lighting technology that can create the effect of this ancient method.

How about several plasma TV's around your deck showing a continous video loop of Tiki torches.

For mood lighting sure. Although I've seen 'artificial torches' which are nothing more than lamps shown vertically onto a ribbon that's fan blown, nothing comes even close to the true ambiance a simple tiki torch creates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back