Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using tekmar controller to open zone valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtmtntop

i have an evacuated tube array heating a hydronic floor and heating an endless pool. the circulators are operated by a tekmar 157 controller. The 157 basically turns off and on 2 pumps based on setpoints set by user. here is what i am trying to do. when the storage temp falls below a set point and the panels have heat, pump 1 is activated until either the panels cool off too much or the storage max is achieved. the tekmar sends 120 v to pump 1. i want to run that leg through a relay to both start the pump AND close a set of contacts on an ice cube relay to go through a taco zvc 406 zone valve controller to open the zone valve to the panels. I have an idec rr2pu ice cube relay but cannot understand the wiring diagram. a note: the tekmar is varying the spped of the pump based on the difference in storage and panel temp. can someone help me out with this? thank you very much.

So you're turning on the zone valve after the pump is already running? Solar controller->pump/relay->406->zone valve? I'm assuming you're using the relay as a simulated thermostat? Can you're pump handle 0 flow for any period of time? It can take some time for zone valves to open (many seconds at times), so the pump is going to run at a very high pressure for a bit.

Ideally, obviously, is to rewire it all so the solar controller->zone valve->relay->pump, but would take a bit of work.

Are you using 3 wire zone valves?

both the circulator and zone valve would operate at the same time, ie from the same signal from the tekmar. i have 4 wire zone valves and they take about 3 seconds to open. this is a closed loop system. i think the pump pressure is ok as the pump is located just after the zone valve on the return to the panels. i am assuming your suggestion to rewire would be to go through a 120 to relay to open the zone valve, then use zone valve contact to go through another relay to start pump?

from other places on the web it looks like an 8 pin ice cube would have the pump going from pin 2 to 7 and the relay for the zone valve going from pin 1 to pin 4? one thing that confuses me is would i use pin 1 and 4 or is there any difference on using pins 5 and 8? thanks

yes, basically exactly how your 406 handles the zone valves and circulation pumps already.

I know the Taco pumps can handle 0 flow for short periods of time, but I was unsure what kind of pump you were using. If they can handle it, then you're probably good to go.

As far as the relay... It's drastic overkill for just simulating a thermostat. You would hook the coil up to your tekmar controller. You might have to do some voltage adjustment as it requires 24v DC to actuate. Hook one leg of your "thermostat" wire to pins 13 or 14, then the other leg to pin 5 or 8, being the compliment of 13 or 14. Did that make sense?

i agree about the overkill. i wish the tekmar had both 24 v and 120 being activated. i have a grundfos 3 speed pump running on speed 2. the ice cube relay i have only has 8 pins. here is a site with the diagram: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/04/rr2p-u-ac120_cp.pdf.
so in this situation, does the thermostat wire go to 1 and 4? and which pins would the pump go through? those i think are just a straight through situation, as the tekmar turns it on and i want it on. thanks again

one other piece of info. the taco zone valve controller has its own transformer, so thermostat connections are just contacts, no voltage.

Oh, so you want to control both the pump and zone with the one relay. Then hook the pump up to one side and the zone control to the other side.

Yea, I have a 404 in my house.

You just need to run two wires from the thermostat "in" to two contacts on one side of the relay. That's all the thermostats are is a relay that closes when they call for heat.

will variable speed controller operate ice cube relay?

i'm finally back to this problem after some other issues came up. the tekmar 157 runs the primary pump at variable speeds. when the tekmar sends power to the primary pump, will this be able to activate a 120 v ice cube relay regardless of how fast it wants the pump to run? thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back