Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using Polarized CAPs in AC

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_1

Hi:

I am just wondering what will happen if I connect an electrolytic polarized cap to an AC line.
I know that connecting the wrong polarity to a polarized cap might cause it to explode, and in AC, the polarity is changing all the time.

Thanks.

I have very good "theoretical" idea about what will happen, so it is some sort of confirmation that I was looking for.

There is a way.

By connecting two electrolytic polarized caps in series with + to + and input and output using the negative leads, one can use the resulting capacitor in a AC circuit. Of course the total capacitance will be less then either individual value. Two 10mfd caps in series will present a 5mfd value, calculated just like having two resistors in parallel.

Edit: You still have to spec the working voltage of the caps to the application voltage.

Lefty

Last edited:
mfd? Do you mean uf (microfarad)? You have that posted as millifarad.

Some older publications use m to stand for micro which is pretty silly in my opinion, but it's only used for capacitors which aren't normally found it values as high as 1mF so it doesn't cause too much confusion. I never use mF, I normally use :mu:F for values =<99,999:mu:F and Farads for values >=0.1F, that way I never get confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back