Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using Mobile SMS to control other appliance !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

balajik

Hello,

Can somebody explain on how to control an appliance (to do simple project) by sending SMS from a mobile phone device ?

What are the requirements for the end device (hardware and how also to program it) ?

Kindly suggest.

Tks in advance,
Balaji K

On a second, read you mean sending the message from a cellphone TO the appliance when it is wired to a land-line? You are looking for a simple phone modem I take it?

balajik said:
Can somebody explain on how to control an appliance (to do simple project) by sending SMS from a mobile phone device ?
What are the requirements for the end device (hardware and how also to program it) ?
a gsm modem or a mobile phone with data interface(usb/rs232) , knowledge about the AT command set (since the phone will look like a modem from the data transfer port), An application running on a microcontroller(ASM) or PC(VB/VC/...) communicating with the phone. And the inerface with this control unit to the devices u want to control

Hi! I am working with a Gizduino with GSM module which will act as an SMS controller of appliances. The user will text ON/OFF or may inquire about the switching state of the appliance being controlled. My problems are:

1. I don't know how to interface AT commands with Arduino.

2. I'm not sure if the GSM module gets the text message being sent, because when I tried to text ON, there was no output in the serial monitor.

3. Serial.print("AT") - does this really make the GSM module respond? Or is it just a mere text output?

Somebody help me please... I wanna graduate already! T-T

You need a GSM module, a microcontroller, and the AT Command set, oh, and a SIM card.

Sending "ATI<CR>" will normally respond with the modem model. AT means "Attention!", if you turn the result codes on then the modem sill sit until something happens, such as a voice call.

Sometimes the module will display a message with a "+" at the beginning, this is sometimes like an interrupt, where it comes in it will display it on the screen, other modules work in such a way that you have to poll the message engine, to determine if there are any new messages available.

Tis all in the AT command guide.

You have to make sure what level translation you need if any, e.g. RS232 requires the use of a chip such as the MAX232 to level shift RS232 to TTL.

TTL 3.3V may not work with 5V, so the tolerances etc will need to be checked.

RX goes to TX and vice-versa.

Just a few little tips!

Wilksey

You need to ask the GSM module for the text messages. First you will probably want to put the GSM module into text mode, as the default is usually PDU mode.

The command for that is:-

AT+CMGF=1

Then to read the texts you need to send:-

AT+CMGL="ALL"

Also, you will probably need to delete the text messages.

AT+CMGD=1,4

That will delete all the text messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back