Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using inductor in flyback converter for nixie power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTAluvBeBeo

using inductor in boost converter for nixie power supply

Hi all, my friends

I am doing a simple power supply for nixie tube base on this schematic

**broken link removed**

But I can not find 100uH/1A in stock

I only found 330uH inductor in the shop, pitty me

So, could I replace 100uH with 330uH to have this 12V to 200V DC/DC converter worked

Thank you all for answering my noob question and have a great day !

PS: here is my modify, correct my if I am wrong, please

Attachments

• PAGE1.pdf
    12 KB · Views: 967
Last edited:
If you increase the inductance of the coil, you will have to decrease the switching frequency to make up for it. You will also have to increase the output capacitors to make up for the extra ripple.

Frequency and inductance are directly proportional, so if you increase your inductance by 330 / 100 = 3.3x, you have to decrease your switching frequency by the same amount.

FYI, that's a boost converter, not a flyback.

Last edited:
Is it possible to remove some turns from the 330uH inductor, say down to 100uH.??

There are many 555 nixie supply variants around and here is one that uses a 330uH coil.
Switching Power Supply

If you just lower the frequency of your design it should work with the same HV output smoothing capacitor as long as you only need about 6-8mA max to drive your tubes.
The 555 HV power supply design is not very efficient for use with heavy loads, just a cheap solution for powering up to 6 small nixie tubes.

yep, thank you all, here is the result :D

I will come with MC34063 next weekend fore more efficient. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0076 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0076 (Medium).JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 2,066
  • IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,169
  • IMG_0081 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0081 (Medium).JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 871
Status
Not open for further replies.