Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using diode bridge to drive a DC motor at 2 speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

heypaisa

A cheap hand blender I got from Walmart broke down after two years of use,
so I crack it open. The circuit is very simple. Just a diode bridge rectifier,
a switch, and a DC motor (circuit schematic in attached image).

The interesting part is, it has two speeds: "high" and "low". The high speed is
just a standard diode bridge. My question is, why does it work at low speed?
I looks to me like driving the motor half of the time and short circuit half of the time.

The diodes are "N5399 MIC" and the motor is "HRS 5512SP".

**broken link removed**

Attachments

• durabrand_hand_blender.png
    durabrand_hand_blender.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,336
On half speed it's fed via a half wave rectifier (a single diode), on full speed it's fed from a full wave rectifier (a bridge).

It's as simple as that - the half wave diode is the bottom left one.

Hi Nigel. Thanks for a quick reply. You are right. Half of the time, the bottom left diode works as a half-wave rectifier.
What about the other half of the time? Don't we have a short-circuit on the bottom right diode?

Thanks again Nigel. You are right. I didn't look careful enough initially. Taking a second look, I found
another diode hiding under a heat-shrink tube on the "low speed" wire. Now everything makes sense.

Attachments

• shortcutPath.png
    shortcutPath.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 578
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back