Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using Audacity as an Oscilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

djsfantasi

Tony Stewart
Tony mentioned that Audacity on a PC could be used as an oscilloscope. I was wondering how you physically connected the probes to the PC.

Let's say for an example I want to probe a 5VDC (supplied by 9VDC) circuit; probe an Arduino Mega with an audio shield specifically?

This is a specific example that I have. But I'd like to generally know how to connect the two.

Tony Stewart
Tony mentioned that Audacity on a PC could be used as an oscilloscope. I was wondering how you physically connected the probes to the PC.

Let's say for an example I want to probe a 5VDC (supplied by 9VDC) circuit; probe an Arduino Mega with an audio shield specifically?

You most probably don't, as the sound card inputs are AC coupled - so no DC measurements.

Because the PC sound card is used, only AC signals in the ~20Hz-20kHz range are measurable directly. Their amplitude must be at or below line level.
However, to monitor (slowly varying) DC you could use a voltage-to-frequency converter to drive the sound card.

Great information guys.

I was going ask again about connecting 9VDC to a sound (1V) input. Then the import of alec_t's post hit me! I'll look into that interface a Googlic-ious search

make your own probe with 10:1 divider R ratio using an audio extension cable and stereo Jack.
Measure input resistance on AUX channel to choose series R. Some are DC connected.
If not , shunt with suitable Rp and add series R's for 10:1. Calibrate with 5V

e.g. 10K shunt 90k series for both channels. up to 100k, 900k

Change Windows Recording source to AUX enabled and Mic OFF

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back