Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using a tv remote to control dc motors in a robot

Status
Not open for further replies.

rishiamrit

8) Cool idea. But the problem is in implementing. I have two old tv remotes which are working. I want to use them to control the moving of a robot comprising of dc motors i.e. just to switch on and off for now. Now how do i implement it. What things will i need(ir sensor etc.). :?: I read of something like STAMP in one of the sites. After i have got the things, how do i connect them i.e. the circuit plan. Well please help me out. I searched google but couldnt find anything satisfactory :( . Please help :idea:

I personally wouldn't use a TV remote, just make the whole unit myself. But that's just me. Take a look at Rentron. They have a lot of stuff for making RF and IR remotes.

the problem is that each type of remote has it's own deocder circuit that it is found in the tv.
you need the decoder and a ir circuit wich will detect the signal from the remote and aplify it to the decoder. or you could just take it whole from the tv....
it is quite a nasty problem, because you can't find those decoders easyly. and another thing will be to know what type of decoder you need.
it is best to go to a tv repair place and i think that they could help you.
you remind me of a friend that wanted to do the same thing with an airplane and it took about 2 months and a lot of people from that forum to convince him that it will not be possibel(due to low range if IR anfd directionability).
hope i could give you a starting point.

hi, u might get a better awnser in the PIC forum, thou u might get flamed for mentioning the word STAMP.

The remotes are seriel, and if ur an impoverished student such as myself ur time is cheaper than a remote kit! Some good googling and the brand name of the remote, will eventually yeild information about how it sends data (failing that u can always try and borry an Oscilloscope!).

Basically u would need to feed a IR sensor into the input, there are many TTL IR detectors with all the amplification and such taken care off (saves messing about with an Op-Amp).

I've not used stamp BASIC scince i was in a first year at secondary school, and i didn't like it then! but its not too hard to a simple on - off pin controll with a stamp and a couple of darlington pairs.

Your first port of call should be finding the serial format used by your remotes. Then learning a little stamp basic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back