Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using a mosfet for current sensing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justDIY

Is it possible to use the on resistance of a mosfet as a current sensing resistor?

I'm interested in monitoring the current demands of a load, most likely under 5 amps, and rather than buy an expensive milliohm resistor, or wire a bunch of regular resistors in parallel, I thought about using the on resistance of a mosfet?

the irf3708 has an RdsON of 8 milliohms at 10v, but they don't show a graph of what it would be at 12v. The difference between 4.5 and 10 is only 1.5 mOhm, so the difference between 10 and 12 is probably too small to worry about?

anyway, here's my idea in diagram form:

Attachments

• fetsense.png
    fetsense.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 371
You don't like accuracy?
The on-resistance changes with temperature, voltage and is different for each Mosfet.
The typical resistance is 8 milli-ohms, max is 12 milli-ohms (a 50% difference) under certain conditions but they don't say what is the minimum resistance.

Attachments

• irf3708.png
    irf3708.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 291
Typical is 8, max is 12, minimum is not specified, and the tempco is fairly high. You would have to calibrate (cow liberate?) it. A piece of wire might be more stable, and just as easy to calibrate.
EDIT:
Is there an echo in here? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back