Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using a Mosfet as a voltaje controlled resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are obviously just wanting to have a go at someone and today its seems to be my turn.:p

I cannot see why you find my posted drawings so irritating.?

To the best of my knowledge non of the OP's I have have responded to have complained
or made any comment regarding the quality of my diagrams.

Providing a drawing conveys the idea or concept, isnt that what its supposed to do.?
Surely it shouldn't be judged on its artistic quality or 'fuzziness'.

What about the huge multi coloured bmp files that some members post, I dont hear you commenting on those.
They don't give me a problem.

Is there a forum rule rule, written or unwritten regarding jpg's, if yes, I will comply.:)

Last edited:
You are obviously just wanting to have a go at someone and today its seems to be my turn.:p

Not at all, but you're posting diagrams in a very poor format, and if no one tells you, you will continue to do so, because you weren't even aware that you were doing so.

Providing a drawing conveys the idea or concept, isnt that what its supposed to do.?
Surely it shouldn't be judged on its artistic quality or 'fuzziness'.

But why not do it correctly?, the quality isn't just worse, the file size is much greater as well, so it's the worst possible choice.

What about the huge multi coloured bmp files that some members post, I dont hear you commenting on those.

If you look back through these forums you will see the exact same discussion been carried out many times, both for wrong use of JPG's, and for BMP's.

Is there a forum rule rule, written or unwritten regarding jpg's, if yes, I will comply.:)

Certainly an unwritten one, it only makes sense to post files of a small size, particularly when the quality is much better, and the size difference is so great.

If you're posting a picture of your workbench, then use JPG, that's what it's designed for - if you're posting a computer generated diagram, use GIF or PNG.

It would be informative to get the views of other members regarding the quality and fuzziness of my drawings. Apart from a little blurring of the lines I feel sure the text and content of the drawings are legible, they certainly are on my monitor.???

Using the captured jpg image of a rectangular area of the displayed drawing results in a smaller byte size than a png, I appreciate that the fine detail is not the same as a png, but thats not a problem to most people.

When I joined this forum, I thought that the idea was to help the OP to solve his/her technical problems not to waste time being bogged down in this sort of discussion.

I'll stick to my maxim. 'Good enough is perfect'

GIF is lossless, but only for 8-bits worth of colours.
JPG is lossy but supports 32-bit colour.
So if your pic has only colours like black and white, GIF is best.

Using the captured jpg image of a rectangular area of the displayed drawing results in a smaller byte size than a png, I appreciate that the fine detail is not the same as a png, but thats not a problem to most people.

Except it doesn't, PNG is considerably smaller (as is GIF), if you are creating PNG's larger than JPG's it's because you're converting from JPG to PNG, and the file has already been ruined.

I presume you looked at the two files I posted, and the relative sizes?.

I'm not overly concerned about the poor image quality, just the file size, some people still use dialup, and you're sending files probably six times as large as they should be. JPG was never intended for this use, and isn't suitable.

Sorry, quick addition, here's a PNG version of the LCD meter, it's only 13K.

Attachments

• LC819_LCD.png
    LC819_LCD.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 143
There is too much assumption and not enough consumption on this thread.

May I suggest that anyone who is feeling slightly stressed presses the standby button and grabs a beer from the fridge ?

I just finished drinking a nice cold beer (burp!) and the JPG file still looks fuzzy and the GIF and PNG files still look clear. If I have a few more beers then the opposite.

I just finished drinking a nice cold beer (burp!) and the JPG file still looks fuzzy and the GIF and PNG files still look clear. If I have a few more beers then the opposite.

hi,
In that case, I'll not post any fuzzy drawings till late in the evening, give you time to enjoy a beer and get that warm fuzzy feeling... before you see my fuzzy drawings.:)

Except it doesn't, PNG is considerably smaller (as is GIF), if you are creating PNG's larger than JPG's it's because you're converting from JPG to PNG, and the file has already been ruined.

I presume you looked at the two files I posted, and the relative sizes?.

I'm not overly concerned about the poor image quality, just the file size, some people still use dialup, and you're sending files probably six times as large as they should be. JPG was never intended for this use, and isn't suitable.

As always, I consider criticism, did a little research, looked thru some recent posts by other members.
This is not a comment on their posts, I just use them as examples.

One bmp 900kb, another bmp 245kb and one posting with 1.5mb of jpg.

Checking the jpg file size of my posted drawings over the last few weeks,
shows anyone of the above exceeds the sum total of mine.!

So I think in this case, size dosn't matter.

I don't dispute they are a little 'fuzzy', but as long as they are legible to the reader, I dont see any problem.

You say, its an unwritten rule regarding not posting jpg format for technical drawings.
Who's unwritten rule would that be.?

Are you stating that any future circuit drawings I post, must be in png or gif format.?

Last edited:
It's up to you, but why would you want to post lower quality images of a much greater filesize? - the worst of all possible worlds.

hi,
I will explain the method I use, perhaps this put this difference of opinion into context.

I use a freeware program called 'Screenhunter' to grab a rectangular area of the screen of the drawing I am creating or from say a datasheet etc.

This can either save as bmp or jpg, I choose the jpg format as its much smaller than the bmp.

I can immediately post this jpg to the forum, it saves to extra steps in using 'PrnScn', where I have to open my paint shop pro, open a new drawing, paste in the capture, crop and resave as a clip.

I fully appreciate what you are saying about creating an original drawing and saving as png, being smaller than the jpg that would be generated if i used png thoughout.

As a example I have used your 'logo', no offence intended.
If you look at images and screenhunter1.jpg showing the relative sizes of a captured image, you can see that the captured jpg is a third of the size of the png capture.
Thats why I choose to post in the jpg format.

When I do a detailed circuit drawing, using expresssch, which saves in bmp, I then use Open Office to convert to pdf, so you see I do take time and trouble when I see the need for a good quality drawing.

But for a simple explanation type drawing, I do believe a low quality jpg gets the job done.

Last edited:
hi,
I will explain the method I use, perhaps this put this difference of opinion into context.

I use a freeware program called 'Screenhunter' to grab a rectangular area of the screen of the drawing I am creating or from say a datasheet etc.

Why not save the diagram in the first place from the program that's creating it?, admittedly it would require an extra step if you were only wanting to post a portion of it.

So your 'reasons' are from using a fairly limited screengrab program, and not wishing to use more than one step?.

As a example I have used your 'logo', no offence intended.

None taken in any way whatsoever :D

If you look at images and screenhunter1.jpg showing the relative sizes of a captured image, you can see that the captured jpg is a third of the size of the png capture.
Thats why I choose to post in the jpg format.

But that is (presumably) because you started off from a JPEG?, and it isn't really a diagram anway.

But that is (presumably) because you started off from a JPEG?, and it isn't really a diagram anway.

Finally, I think you have got it.:p

Can we now get back to why we are both here, that is dealing technical matters.?

Mental arm wrestling is always fun, but can we now please step off 'the mat',.
I'm sure it bores the pants off the rest of the forum.

Have a nice day.:)

Last edited:
Eric, I downloaded Screenhunter 5.0 (free). GIF is one of the options for the file format. See below.

Attachments

• 2008-06-28_091831.png
    2008-06-28_091831.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 145
If the colours on a fuzzy JPG schematic are removed then the fuzziness is removed:

Attachments

• fuzzy schematic.PNG
    fuzzy schematic.PNG
    39 KB · Views: 132
Eric, I downloaded Screenhunter 5.0 (free). GIF is one of the options for the file format. See below.

Hi, Thanks Ron,

I'll upgrade asap..:)

EDITED:
A nice shiny, only slightly fuzzy GIF....:)

Last edited:
Horray Eric!!!
Your GIF is perfectly clear. I zoomed in to 2000% and it is still perfectly clear.

My black and white JPG is not perfectly clear but it is much better than a fuzzy colour one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back