Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Used the LM331 V-F? Please help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentSA

Hi All...

Im using an LM331 as a simple Voltage to Frequency convertor however I am having some trouble.

The Input voltage signal is only producing a output frequency for 0 -> approx. 3.5V after which the output frequency stops (i.e. 0Hz).

My Vs is 5V and components where selected according to the formula in the datasheet for my required frequency range 0-30kHz.

If anyone has any experiance with this IC please could you shed some light on this issue.

Thanks
StudentSA

Hi All...

Im using an LM331 as a simple Voltage to Frequency convertor however I am having some trouble.

The Input voltage signal is only producing a output frequency for 0 -> approx. 3.5V after which the output frequency stops (i.e. 0Hz).

My Vs is 5V and components where selected according to the formula in the datasheet for my required frequency range 0-30kHz.

If anyone has any experiance with this IC please could you shed some light on this issue.

Thanks
StudentSA
hi,
Can you post a circuit, showing your component values etc.?

Please see attached circuit schematic.

V-F.JPG

Thanks

Exactly 5V input must give me 30kHz output...

The output is currently connected to a 12bit pulse counter... so as I vary the input voltage I see that the speed of the counter is increasing. However once I hit 3.5V and above the counter stops counting completly as soon as I go below 3.5V it carrys on counting.

I will try to increase my Vsupply to 10V when I get home...because possibly Vin might be limited to Vsupply - 1.5V? This is not mentioned in the datasheet but sounds like a good place to start.

Exactly 5V input must give me 30kHz output...

The output is currently connected to a 12bit pulse counter... so as I vary the input voltage I see that the speed of the counter is increasing. However once I hit 3.5V and above the counter stops counting completly as soon as I go below 3.5V it carrys on counting.

I will try to increase my Vsupply to 10V when I get home...because possibly Vin might be limited to Vsupply - 1.5V? This is not mentioned in the datasheet but sounds like a good place to start.

hi,
Does your counter have a input 'level' control' for triggering, if yes, it may be set too high.
Also does your counter have a TTL and.or analog signal input, it just could be waveform reduces slightly with frequency and the counter is not detecting the pulses.

Last edited:
That's an excellent idea. Although your schematic looks similar to ones published by National and others, the data sheet app notes never take Vin above (Vs-2V). The Simplified Schematic in the data sheet shows why this is so.

Last edited:
Yip, The Vin is limited by Vsupply.

From experimentation Vin cannot exceed Vs-1.5V

I find it interesting that this is not mentioned in the datasheet or did I miss it somewhere?

My schematic is from the datasheet with a few "Unnecessary" components erased for simplicity.

The Vin limit is given under "common mode range" under Comparator. (Vin is one of the comparator inputs.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back