Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

  • Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB Pic programmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy_123

Member
BUT, I am still looking for even simplier solution.... with integrated EEPROM and crystal, with less leads and in PDIP package (breadboard usage), Ideal would be "drop-in" replacement for MAX232
This never gona happen, all new designs not coming in bulky DIP

For prototype and breadboard use FT232 modules like this:

https://www.dlpdesign.com/usb/usb232.shtml
It has all you asking for in DIP.
**broken link removed**
 

Jay.slovak

Active Member
Andy_123 said:
BUT, I am still looking for even simplier solution.... with integrated EEPROM and crystal, with less leads and in PDIP package (breadboard usage), Ideal would be "drop-in" replacement for MAX232
This never gona happen, all new designs not coming in bulky DIP

For prototype and breadboard use FT232 modules like this:

https://www.dlpdesign.com/usb/usb232.shtml
It has all you asking for in DIP.
**broken link removed**
I know about this sollution, but it is still too big for me :lol:
 

evandude

New Member
Jay.slovak said:
I know about this sollution, but it is still too big for me :lol:

you are contradicting yourself. if you want breadboard functionality, use something like that. if you want small, use the surface-mount one.

considering it already has the chip, USB connector, crystal, and various other parts on it, which would end up saving you breadboard space.
 

Jay.slovak

Active Member
evandude said:
Jay.slovak said:
I know about this sollution, but it is still too big for me :lol:

you are contradicting yourself. if you want breadboard functionality, use something like that. if you want small, use the surface-mount one.

considering it already has the chip, USB connector, crystal, and various other parts on it, which would end up saving you breadboard space.
What I said was:
I am still looking for even simplier solution.... with integrated EEPROM and crystal, with less leads and in PDIP package (breadboard usage), Ideal would be "drop-in" replacement for MAX232 Very Happy
This does not look like let's say 16pin MAX232. With that I ment single IC, not a module... 8)
 

evandude

New Member
I would say... keep dreaming :lol: the surface-mount chip is smaller and has more features than it would be if it were a DIP... and why does it matter how big it is for breadboarding? the point of breadboarding is to prototype stuff, not to make tiny finished products, and if you actually make a finished product, then the surface-mount chip would probably be better anyway.
 

Jay.slovak

Active Member
evandude said:
I would say... keep dreaming :lol: the surface-mount chip is smaller and has more features than it would be if it were a DIP... and why does it matter how big it is for breadboarding? the point of breadboarding is to prototype stuff, not to make tiny finished products, and if you actually make a finished product, then the surface-mount chip would probably be better anyway.
You are right, it's my dream... I think small PDIP would be great for beginners.
 

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Jay.slovak said:
Yes, it is. It's cool how easy you can port your applications to USB...

I think you need to remember what you're actually doing!, this isn't 'porting your application to USB' - it's leaving your application with a serial interface, and merely adding a USB to Serial converter. You can buy these at low cost as an external unit, and even as part of a connecting lead - which is no different to using these converter chips.

If you want to port your application to USB, you need to use one of the USB enabled PIC's - and learn the complexities of USB programming!.
 

Jay.slovak

Active Member
Nigel Goodwin said:
Jay.slovak said:
Yes, it is. It's cool how easy you can port your applications to USB...

I think you need to remember what you're actually doing!, this isn't 'porting your application to USB' - it's leaving your application with a serial interface, and merely adding a USB to Serial converter. You can buy these at low cost as an external unit, and even as part of a connecting lead - which is no different to using these converter chips.

If you want to port your application to USB, you need to use one of the USB enabled PIC's - and learn the complexities of USB programming!.
OK, I should've say "make USB compatible" instead "to Port to USB", I am aware of differences between "compatible" and Full-featured.
 

evandude

New Member
again with the semantics...

some people might consider "porting" and "converting" to be two different things, myself included. I would say "porting" can be as simple as making something work in whatever way possible, whereas if you were to completely remove the serial stuff and replace with pure USB, I would consider that "converting"

it all depends on the connotation, which is going to be different for different people.
 

Jay.slovak

Active Member
I think, that "we technicians" shouldn't play with words... We all know what we what to say, it doesn't matter if the sentance is wrong. The main thing is to solve our problem and to learn something now 8)
 

Roboticinfo

New Member
reply

Jay.slovak said:
I think, that "we technicians" shouldn't play with words... We all know what we what to say, it doesn't matter if the sentance is wrong. The main thing is to solve our problem and to learn something now 8)

Ok this post has been solved, leave it alone jay
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top