1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

USB Pic programmers

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers' started by Beefer3, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Jay.slovak

Jay.slovak Active Member

Yes, it is. It's cool how easy you can port your applications to USB...
    BUT, I am still looking for even simplier solution.... with integrated EEPROM and crystal, with less leads and in PDIP package (breadboard usage), Ideal would be "drop-in" replacement for MAX232 :D

2. Andy_123

Andy_123 Member

This never gona happen, all new designs not coming in bulky DIP

For prototype and breadboard use FT232 modules like this:

http://www.dlpdesign.com/usb/usb232.shtml
    It has all you asking for in DIP.
    [​IMG]

3. Jay.slovak

Jay.slovak Active Member

I know about this sollution, but it is still too big for me :lol:

4. dave

Dave New Member

5. evandude

evandude New Member

you are contradicting yourself. if you want breadboard functionality, use something like that. if you want small, use the surface-mount one.

considering it already has the chip, USB connector, crystal, and various other parts on it, which would end up saving you breadboard space.

6. Jay.slovak

Jay.slovak Active Member

What I said was:
    This does not look like let's say 16pin MAX232. With that I ment single IC, not a module... 8)

7. evandude

evandude New Member

I would say... keep dreaming :lol: the surface-mount chip is smaller and has more features than it would be if it were a DIP... and why does it matter how big it is for breadboarding? the point of breadboarding is to prototype stuff, not to make tiny finished products, and if you actually make a finished product, then the surface-mount chip would probably be better anyway.

8. Jay.slovak

Jay.slovak Active Member

You are right, it's my dream... I think small PDIP would be great for beginners.

9. samcheetah

samcheetah New Member

thanx alot Andy_123, although that module is a bit expensive, it is a really good thing.

10. Nigel Goodwin

Nigel Goodwin Super Moderator Most Helpful Member

I think you need to remember what you're actually doing!, this isn't 'porting your application to USB' - it's leaving your application with a serial interface, and merely adding a USB to Serial converter. You can buy these at low cost as an external unit, and even as part of a connecting lead - which is no different to using these converter chips.

If you want to port your application to USB, you need to use one of the USB enabled PIC's - and learn the complexities of USB programming!.

11. Jay.slovak

Jay.slovak Active Member

OK, I should've say "make USB compatible" instead "to Port to USB", I am aware of differences between "compatible" and Full-featured.

12. evandude

evandude New Member

again with the semantics...

some people might consider "porting" and "converting" to be two different things, myself included. I would say "porting" can be as simple as making something work in whatever way possible, whereas if you were to completely remove the serial stuff and replace with pure USB, I would consider that "converting"

it all depends on the connotation, which is going to be different for different people.

13. Jay.slovak

Jay.slovak Active Member

I think, that "we technicians" shouldn't play with words... We all know what we what to say, it doesn't matter if the sentance is wrong. The main thing is to solve our problem and to learn something now 8)

14. Roboticinfo

Roboticinfo New Member

Ok this post has been solved, leave it alone jay