Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

=> [URGENT] - Need programmer circuit of PIC18f4550...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chamith20xx

:)

Hi friends....

I want to find out the " Programmer Circuit" of PIC18F4550 to create programmer by myself to burn the programme code to the chip....

If u have or if u have found the circuit design of that feel free to share it here....

I am so glad if u can find a link where it stays...

thanx alot in advance.. tc
regards Chamith:)

Last edited:
And please don't PM me to look at your threads.

The programming circuit for the 4550 is the same as every other PIC that Microchip makes.

phalanx said:
And please don't PM me to look at your threads.

The programming circuit for the 4550 is the same as every other PIC that Microchip makes.

sry for the PM.. and it is not the same desighn of other pics. Please dont give false information and make people confuse. Every PIC series has its own programmer.. :p so if u dnt know please leave the thread alone.. thnx..:)

Pretty much all 40pin 16F & 18F chips use the same programming pins. RB6 & 7 is the norm. Programming software is another story.

Yes, almost all PIC's use the same programmer - with the main exception being the VERY (and I mean VERY!) old ones that require parallel programing rather than serial programming. The only difference is the software in the programmer, which varies across a wide range of PIC's.

chamith20xx said:
sry for the PM.. and it is not the same desighn of other pics. Please dont give false information and make people confuse. Every PIC series has its own programmer.. :p so if u dnt know please leave the thread alone.. thnx..:)

I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to PICs and you are wrong about the programmers. All modern PICs are programmed using the same interface. Had you read the datasheet or programming specification, you would have realized that by now.

I have one programmer that works on 10F, 12F, 16F, 18F, 24F, 30F, and 33F parts. If you insist that you need a different one for each series, I can sell you 7 of my programmers and tell you that they are some how different.

phalanx said:
I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to PICs and you are wrong about the programmers. All modern PICs are programmed using the same interface. Had you read the datasheet or programming specification, you would have realized that by now.

I have one programmer that works on 10F, 12F, 16F, 18F, 24F, 30F, and 33F parts. If you insist that you need a different one for each series, I can sell you 7 of my programmers and tell you that they are some how different.

ya i know about Universal programmers but i specifically asked about the programmer design of pic18f series because i am going to make it by myself.
So if u have that let me know.. any way thnx for the coment.;)

Nigel Goodwin said:
Yes, almost all PIC's use the same programmer - with the main exception being the VERY (and I mean VERY!) old ones that require parallel programing rather than serial programming. The only difference is the software in the programmer, which varies across a wide range of PIC's.

thanx for the info bro but one problem...

i already have the programmer which is for PIC16 series. Do i have a ability to extend this to PIC18 series.. i mean can how can i install a software which can be used for wider range of PIC s ?

Did u mean that all the PIC programmers have same circuit inside it and it varies only from the software installed to it ? :rolleyes: ( I dont think so..)

Thnx for the help... :)

chamith20xx said:
ya i know about Universal programmers but i specifically asked about the programmer design of pic18f series because i am going to make it by myself.
So if u have that let me know.. any way thnx for the coment.;)

When will you listen? There is no specific programmer design for 18F PICs. They use the same hardware interface as every other modern PIC.

phalanx said:
When will you listen? There is no specific programmer design for 18F PICs. They use the same hardware interface as every other modern PIC.

are u tellling me that we can use the programmer which we use for pic16 series to program pic18 series chip?? :confused:

chamith20xx said:
are u tellling me that we can use the programmer which we use for pic16 series to program pic18 series chip?? :confused:

Yes you can so long as the software that runs it supports the chip. The hardware interface is the same for all modern PICs. There are however small differences in the programming algorithm.

chamith20xx said:

Did u mean that all the PIC programmers have same circuit inside it and it varies only from the software installed to it ? :rolleyes: ( I dont think so..)

Perhaps you should try thinking 'better' then? :p

PIC programmers all have to do the same job, so while not the 'same circuit' they tend to be very similar, and most are variations on the designs of David Tait, the 'father' of PIC programming.

Notice that most software (WinPicProg, IC-Prog, WinPic etc.) are configurable to use different hardware - this is simply because the hardware is really VERY similar.

If you can't wrap your mind around even a simple concept of using a programmer then how will you ever get your head around the USB stack in the 18f4550?

Your programming software has to support the 18F4550.

PS have you written any PIC code yet?

If the answer is NO then
1. Start with a simpler project like flashing an LED
2. Copy EXACTLY someone elses MP3 player (plenty on the net)
3. Buy a MP3 player they're cheap

You'll also need an MP3 decoder chip and they too have complex and exciting datasheets. Or you could use a dsPIC and you could try to decode the MP3 stream inside the PIC but good luck with that.

Last edited:
blueroomelectronics said:
If you can't wrap your mind around even a simple concept of using a programmer then how will you ever get your head around the USB stack in the 18f4550?

Your programming software has to support the 18F4550.

PS have you written any PIC code yet?

If the answer is NO then
1. Start with a simpler project like flashing an LED
2. Copy EXACTLY someone elses MP3 player (plenty on the net)
3. Buy a MP3 player they're cheap

You'll also need an MP3 decoder chip and they too have complex and exciting datasheets. Or you could use a dsPIC and you could try to decode the MP3 stream inside the PIC but good luck with that.

hey Mr... The issue is i got a problem when i go to create PIC programmer.. i downloaded couple of PIC programmer designs from not but those harware designs varies one to another depend on the PIC it uses...

The other thing is some designs support for couple of specific PIC chips and the creators have advised us to add specific components instead of the original design....

well.. actually i am a newbie for microcontroller programming and designing and the only project i previously done was the door access controller system by using PIC16F844a which it comparely easier than the design i am going to do now..

I learnt many concepts from this forum with regard to my project and additional details and issues that i would probably get during the process of the implementing my design... THANX A LOT FOR THE best advices and information you all shared with me....

As i said earlier i am following a mp3 project which was done before ( Refer : https://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/c...ects/s2007/cd247_maw72/cd247_maw72/index.html )

and currently i know we need STA013 decoder (which we have already ordered from USA ) and the PIC18f4550 ( which we have already importing from UK ) and ADC and FM transmitter..

If i tell the thing we are going to do in nut shell , is that we are going to read mp3 files from SD card and stream it through mp3 decoder and and take the analogue signal of that streaming signal through ADC and transmit it to a particular frequency where u can hear that through a car radio even..

Its going to be a portable device which can take any where we want and hear the songs in SD card from a radio where it exist..:)

since this is more complex thing we are going to implement this whole thing step by step by deviding the whole process in to several sections.

Our 1st step is to read SD card and get the data in it...

Is there a specific way that u can suggest how we can verify the data has read by the PIC?

and what kind of crystal we can use for it?

:)

Thnx alot for the help your crew providing.... ;)

blueroomelectronics said:
You keep referring to "We" is this a school project?

How did you arrive at the conclusion of a 18F4550 as the PIC of choice?

The STA013 seems to be a good decoder, lots of info here.
https://www.pjrc.com/mp3/sta013.html

no this is not a school project and this is a university project...
I have gone through the link u have provided and got much details from it...

Firstly we have gone through pic 16f series and due to lak RAM in it we gave up that and decided to use pic18 series since it has much memory compared to 16f series pics..( we are going to do our design in a real time way without using external memory )

The other thing we have choosen 18f4550 is that it is more compatible with STA013 ...

The other reason we choose pic is that mikroc software has kind of libraries that we can use directly ( actually we hope) use to access sd card.

we came here through after facing several issues and still we have..

so the direction u all providing is a big help for our project to be in success..

thanx for the info u all provided and still we need them to get rid from these several issues..:confused: :)

Well Univercity is still technically a school.

The 18F4550 are better for C than the 16F series, they have the USB & I2C hardware and MicroC appears to support it.

Just hope your project isn't due anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back