Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Role of OSI Model in IoT Projects

kittu20

Hello everyone,

I've been reading various resources on the OSI layer model, but I'm finding it challenging to grasp its practical application in the context of IoT projects. In my many efforts, I'm unable to draw parallels between the theoretical concepts of the OSI model and the real-world implementation of IoT solutions.

Could someone kindly elucidate with a comprehensive explanation or perhaps a concrete example of how the OSI model plays a important role in the successful execution of IoT projects?

If you are using a ready-built TCP/IP WiFi or Ethernet library such as already exist for many MCUs and programming systems, it's not really relevant - hardly more than using an internet connected program on a desktop, laptop or mobile phone.

It does matter if you are writing your own library/stack, or device drivers etc.

eg. The last "connected" device I put together mainly used the ESP2866 WiFi capability and an MQTT library for communications.

I did not have to look at any lower level code at all, for that side of things.

It does matter if you are writing your own library/stack, or device drivers etc.
Imagine we're creating project where we deploy devices in different cities to collect temperature and humidity data.

In this project, each device includes temperature sensors and an ESP2866. These devices gather data and send it to a central server via a Wi-Fi router. The server then analyzes this data and provides real-time updates through a web application or Android app.

Additionally, Information that the sensors operate on the I2C protocol, and the MQTT protocol is used to transmit temperature data between clients and the server.

I'm looking help to understand the role of the OSI model layers in this theoretical project. Could you please explain how each layer of the OSI model relates to the functionalities of our weather monitoring system?

It is now and probably always was completely irrelevant. Most engineers realized significant performance improvements by ignoring it altogether and merging the functions of the layers until it was all a blur. Don't waste your time with it.

It is now and probably always was completely irrelevant. Most engineers realized significant performance improvements by ignoring it altogether and merging the functions of the layers until it was all a blur. Don't waste your time with it.
When tackling a project like this, what would be your general approach for developing code from scratch. my general approach is to start from the bottom to top , so the bottom-to-top method sounds like a solid plan. Given the server-client setup, we'll need programs for both sides.

For the client side, let's begin by connecting the temperature sensor to the ESP8266 board. Writing I2C code to get temperature and humidity data.

Once we have that set up, I don't know further development of client program step by step

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back