Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

urgent help needed !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gut_but

hi,
any body can help me in designing a time delay circuit with only RC components which introduces a time delay of 10ms beacuse i can't use 555 timer. can we use simple low pass filter to introduce a time delay? if , so how to calculate the delay?
electronic newbie

Hi Gut,
A capacitor charges through a resistor to 63% of the supply voltage in a time period that equals R times C, where R is in ohms and C is in Farads. So a 1uF capacitor will charge through a 10K resistor to 63% of the supply voltage in 10ms. You could also use a 10uF cap and a 1k resistor, a 100uF cap and a 100 ohm resistor etc.

It might be easier to detect when a charging capacitor's voltage reaches exactly one-half of the supply voltage. It occurs in a time period that equals 0.71 times R times C.
So a 1uF cap will charge through a 14.1k resistor to half the supply voltage in 10ms.

Don't ask me for the formula. I never use it since it is worn off in my old book. I just use the graph in the book that is still clearly visible. :lol:

I assume you want a digital delay, not an analogue one.

To create a delay, a simple RC low pass filter will suffice, but it needs a Schmitt Trigger such as the CMOS 40106 to detect when the voltage across the capacitor has reached a preset level.

See https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/pic-c-complier-free-version.6386/

These posts are for a bounce suppressor, but can be adapted for a delay by removing the switch and connecting the signal to the resistor, ie. remove the Vcc from the resistor and connect the signal to this point.

Len

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back