Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

up/down counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogdanfirst

i need a decade counter, like the 4017 for example, wich can count to any umber from 4 to 16 best will be 8, but it doesnt matter. i need it to have 2 input pins, so that if i aply pulses to one pin it will count up, and pulses to the other input pin it will count down. the reason why i can not use a counter wich has a pin for clock and one for select between up or down is that the i have 2 bit that control the counter cannot be 1 in the same time...
if i think better i could use a binary counter too....
anybody can help me?

Bogdan

I don't know if it is still in production but the 74192 (74LS192 etc) is an up/down decade counter.

Pin 5 counts up and pin 4 counts down. BCD preset if you want it.

It is a bcd output - IIRC - so you would need a bcd to decimal decoder OR, if you want to drive a 7seg led then 74ls192>74ls75>74ls47>led.

I used to use these to build up/down Hz/KHz counters for hf receivers with analogue displays. Made it much easier to get accurate tuning.

I haven't got the datasheets but they should be available.

A Cmos chip will do.......CD4510, its a 4bit binary up down counter, use it in conjunction with a suitable counter chip wil get your counts up to 16......

HTH Chip

yes, i know the 74192 and 193 but they are hard to find here and quite expensive, so i have an idea.
if i could take the 2 bits and use a flip flop with set and reset so that one bit sets it so i have Q=h wich will count up and in the same time the bit is sent to the clock input of a 4029. when the other bit is H then i have a reset and i got Q=L so it will count down
here is what i mean, do you think it function?
or i will need some delay so that first it is set wich direction it will count and then it will get the pulse?i cant upload here so i will up load to electronics ideas.....

here is what i think of.....

Attachments

• figure12774.gif
    figure12774.gif
    3 KB · Views: 4,108
Hi Bogdan,

No, you're not alone. Jobs that pay - and celebrations - have to come first.

The circuit will work if you tie the S & R inputs to gnd via a suitable resistor.

If you look at the truth table for the 4013 you will notice that pin 1 is the opposite of the R input and that pin 2 is the same. This would allow you to control count direction with one bit.

If the 40193 is similar to the 40192 - no datasheet handy - then it should be ok.

Umm likewise,work n stuff......I did suggest some alternatives, probably easier to work with too..... :(

Pilot,
i am not sure i understand _ what you want to suggest?
i know i can conect Din to Q and create a toggle flip flop, so i have one bit for the clock and one for the direction.....
i think that this will work too, but it will be a bit harder to control what i want trough software.....
i dont need to put the resistors from R ans S to Gnd because when the bits are not 1 they are 0 not opened, so i dont see the need for these resistors...
Sebi, i really dont get what diodes are you talking about....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back