unusual way to charge a car battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow what a row I never knew I could start a storm like this so whats the verdict boys ? I'm starting to reconsider a transformer (as I have one) but the main thing is I'm not to sure about having mains voltages floating around the house.

Death By Bass said:
if the current is limited to 500mA, whats stopping that from being 500mA at 200+volts DC?

The battery itself.

I've killed a battery by accidently charging it to 18volts, with a 2.5amp current limited powersupply.

whats stopping 500mA from doing the exact same thing?

The fact it's a trivial amount of current for a car battery!.

Thunderchild said:
wow what a row I never knew I could start a storm like this so whats the verdict boys ? I'm starting to reconsider a transformer (as I have one) but the main thing is I'm not to sure about having mains voltages floating around the house.

As everyone has said all along, if you're building a charger do it properly with a transformer - if you're "throwing together" something in an emergency, then you could always use the crude bulb method, but you certainly shouldn't be thinking of building one for permanent use!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
The battery itself.

The fact it's a trivial amount of current for a car battery!.

mine didn't...

like I said, I killed a battery with 2.5amps, at 18 volts, so, how is that going to differ with 0.5amps, at 200+ volts?

Death By Bass said:
mine didn't...

like I said, I killed a battery with 2.5amps, at 18 volts, so, how is that going to differ with 0.5amps, at 200+ volts?

You've never mentioned what type of battery it was?, and you used five times the current we're talking about - the voltage is completely irrelevent.

Nigel Goodwin said:
You've never mentioned what type of battery it was?, and you used five times the current we're talking about - the voltage is completely irrelevent.

yeah, and you're talking about using 10+ times the voltage.

Death By Bass said:
yeah, and you're talking about using 10+ times the voltage.

But NOT on the battery, the 200V is the other side of the lamp, and as I said before, the source voltage is irrelevent anyway.

You still haven't answered my question about the battery you supposedly destroyed either!.

Death By Bass said:
you didn't ask a question, you made a statement

OK, (although it had a question mark!), what type of battery was it?.

BTW, does your name refer to bass guitar?, low notes in general?, or a type of fish?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
OK, (although it had a question mark!), what type of battery was it?.

BTW, does your name refer to bass guitar?, low notes in general?, or a type of fish?.

sticking a question mark at the end of a statement doesn't make it a question.

I dont know what type battery it was, I cant remember.

it refers to bass in general.

Come on guys! is this battery not charged yet?

I think we have established that:

1 It is a poor way to charge a battery.
2 It is bad from a personal safety viewpoint.
3 Depending on the current, you will overcharge any battery if you leave it long enough.
4 If the devil is biting at your arse and you have to charge the battery, this method will get you going.

JimB

Ohhh... I do so LUV exclamation marks at the end of my questions. They're so emphatic!~$" (... and manly, too)}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…