Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unicorn Inchworm and MPLAB 8.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aidan.Hedley

just taken deliver of a Unicorn that I wish to use to speed up my debugging on Inchworm

Downloaded and programmed Unicorn.hex (Unicorn 18F4550(2)+BOR) using MPLAB and the serial inchworm, can't get the USB interface to work with

MPLAB V8.40 , usb talks, update doesn't work,

I have tried the second link to ICD2_4550(2) there is one file there that when programmed does nothing and another I can't program.

I have a hunch that MPLAB have written out third party USB programmers in V8.4 - I really don't wish to roll back MPLAB as I'm in the middle of a project.

so I'm back to RS232 Any ideas please, I'm a bit disappointed after a 4 week wait for the Unicorn

CD0021: Unable to connect with MPLAB ICD 2 (USB)
MPLAB ICD 2 ready for next operation
Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
Updating ICD2 USB FW from version FFFF to 0102. Do not disconnect USB cable.
...Connected
ICD0082: Failed MPLAB ICD 2 operation

ICD0021: Unable to connect with MPLAB ICD 2 (USB)
...Download Operating System Failed
ICD0029: Connected tool is not an MPLAB ICD 2: Product ID = 0x0 (MPLAB ICD (1))

Last edited:
Are you trying to connect through an unpowered hub? If so, try connecting straight to the computer USB port.

Edit, I haven't tried version 8.4 of MPLAB. Will download it and try.

Edit2, just downloaded and installed V8.4, and it works fine.

Mike.

Last edited:
There is no problem with the USB physical layer.

Can you send me a link the unicorn software you used? the **broken link removed** website has links to two versions one of which doen't appear to work

To use your Unicorn as a Inchworm+ USB upgrade just program it with **broken link removed** You can then attach your Unicorn to the underside of an Inchworm+ (like the illustration on the bottom of this page).

And this is the Inchworm+ mounted directly to the Unicorn, the pair appear in MPLAB as a MPLAB firmware client. You have to program the 18F4550 with a special **broken link removed**first. 12mm spacers are ideal

so as said in my first post there are two means of programming the Unicorn one of which does not work.

P.S. Do you use MPLAB to import HEX file and programme the Unicorn

Thanks, A.

I had used my Unicorn for something else and so downloaded the hex file from Bills (blueroom) site. It is the one called, Unicorn 18F4550 +BOR.hex. I programmed it with the stand alone PK2 programmer. However, if windows recognizes it then it should work.

Mike.

Pommie, so you downloaded MPLAB , programmed your unicorn with a stand alone programmer using the same software. Did you get similar messages - without the errors to the ones I posted?

I have another PC with MPLAB, will try that, suspect I may need a clean install of MPLAB

Yes, downloaded and programmed. Installed 8.4 and it all worked. No error messages.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back