Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Understanding Circuit Diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

KartikVepa

Hi, I want to start making circuits, but I'm finding the circuit diagrams to be very confusing. For example, in the audio amplifier attached, I don't know what the upside down triangles are, I don't know where the - of the audio input goes, where the - of the voltage input goes, or what I connect the - of the speaker to. If someone could explain the diagram to me, that would be awesome, thanks. **broken link removed**

Hi, I want to start making circuits, but I'm finding the circuit diagrams to be very confusing. For example, in the audio amplifier attached, I don't know what the upside down triangles are, I don't know where the - of the audio input goes, where the - of the voltage input goes, or what I connect the - of the speaker to. If someone could explain the diagram to me, that would be awesome, thanks. **broken link removed**

That symbol (upside down triangle) represents ground; that is where you connect the - terminals you are asking about.

The symbol is ground (circuit common) and all points with that symbol are tied together with a wire (or sometimes a copper plane on a circuit board) for all the return connections. The symbol is just a shorthand way to indicate these common connections without cluttering up the schematic with a bunch of extra wires.

To remove ambiguity, the amplifier can be re-drawn, as per the attachment.

JimB

Attachments

• AF Amp ReDrawn.PNG
    AF Amp ReDrawn.PNG
    18.5 KB · Views: 360
The LM383 is obsolete and has not been made for 12 yerars.
The schematic you found on Aaron Cake's site has errors like most of his old schematics that I have not corrected yet.

I suggest that you select modern parts that are still being manufactured and use the circuit (and pcb design) that is shown on the manufacturer's datasheet.

Attachments

• LM383 amplifier.PNG
    LM383 amplifier.PNG
    27 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back