Understanding Circuit Diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

KartikVepa

Hi, I want to start making circuits, but I'm finding the circuit diagrams to be very confusing. For example, in the audio amplifier attached, I don't know what the upside down triangles are, I don't know where the - of the audio input goes, where the - of the voltage input goes, or what I connect the - of the speaker to. If someone could explain the diagram to me, that would be awesome, thanks. **broken link removed**

That symbol (upside down triangle) represents ground; that is where you connect the - terminals you are asking about.

The symbol is ground (circuit common) and all points with that symbol are tied together with a wire (or sometimes a copper plane on a circuit board) for all the return connections. The symbol is just a shorthand way to indicate these common connections without cluttering up the schematic with a bunch of extra wires.

To remove ambiguity, the amplifier can be re-drawn, as per the attachment.

JimB

Attachments

• AF Amp ReDrawn.PNG
    18.5 KB · Views: 361
The LM383 is obsolete and has not been made for 12 yerars.
The schematic you found on Aaron Cake's site has errors like most of his old schematics that I have not corrected yet.

I suggest that you select modern parts that are still being manufactured and use the circuit (and pcb design) that is shown on the manufacturer's datasheet.

Attachments

• LM383 amplifier.PNG
    27 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…