Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unconnected Opamp Pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using only 2 out of 4 opamps of a quad opamp. in an application note it is said that the unused pins of opamp shouldn't be left floating. They have given following layout for connection of unused opamp
Source :Texas Instrument
Capture.PNG

One thing I don't understand in this is the Half Supply. P.S. I am giving +15 and -15 V supply.
Someone please explain me what half supply here means.
Thanks

Half supply is halfway between the positive and negative power rails going to the op amp so that neither the lower or upper output stages are pushed in saturation and are at their most balanced. The most "neutral" state of the op-amp, so to speak. In your case that's 0V.

Half supply is halfway between the positive and negative power rails going to the op amp so that neither the lower or upper output stages are pushed in saturation and are at their most balanced. The most "neutral" state of the op-amp, so to speak. In your case that's 0V.
So if I am giving +15 V and 0 V, then will the half supply be 7.5V? If yes, from where will I generate it?

If you are using a dual supply, connect the positive input to 0V.

With a single supply, if the opamp is a type that includes ground (= negative supply) as part of its permitted input voltage range you can simply connect the positive inputs to ground / negative supply.

Either way, link output and negative input.

The bias circuits are only needed if you have a single supply and an opamp where the inputs cannot tolerate connection to negative.

One of the criteria is to prevent oscillations and the other one is to minimize power consumption.
So a unity gain dual symmetrical supplies OP-amp would not be turning on it's output stage under those conditions.
You can also arrange stuff so that if you needed to make a design change that required a spare OP-amp it would have easy access.

You can also arrange stuff so that if you needed to make a design change that required a spare OP-amp it would have easy access.
the usual method is to have traces available on the "unused" pins, and a solder blob or jumper between the inverting input and output and either a solder blob or a jumper from the noninverting input to ground or Vcc/2.

It is better, for noyse prevention, to put unused pins (if they are inputs), tom GND.
there are op amps that should not have the inputs connected to the (-) rail.when feeding an op amp from a single ended supply (+15V and gnd, for instance) the inputs should not be tied to gnd because it is the (-) rail. the input shouldbe tied to Vcc/2, or 7.5v.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back