Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unbalanced load problem (at home)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not everything! Your just pointing out the bad link in the power chain!

The electrical utility companies have insurance policies just for when stuff like this happens. If they looked and said it was fine and you knew it wasn't they are liable for future damages because of incompetent workmanship or negligence.

Being you have tracked the voltage differential problem back to some point before your power box it is their responsibility. If its at the meter connection point or further up the supply line its still their responsibility.
As I recall the connections in the meter box are in fact the utility companies full responsibility not yours.
The actual connections you have responsibility for are the main lugs in the fuse or breaker box and forward.

I am not encouraging you to damage anything but unfortunately many professionals and service people dont do their jobs very well at all. Its only when they get their butts in trouble for sloppy work that they step up and do their own jobs right. :(

I dont see how they could consider a 10% voltage differential on the main lines a normal condition at that small of a load. It is not.

If I am remembering correctly I think the NEC code book calls for no greater than 5% line to line voltage differential when one half of a dual feed line system, standard 120/240 service, is loaded to its maximum main fuse or breaker rating.
That is if your main fuses are rated for 100 amps then if you had a 100 amp load pulling off of just one side of the service the voltage differential shall be no greater than 5% of the 120 volts from line to common. Or 114 volts on the load side and 126 volts on the unloaded side.

If your getting 109 and 136 volts on each side of the common with only 20 - 30 amps load you have a big problem and it has to be corrected.
And obviously you are trying to get that done.

I know its a big problem. LOL. I'm just trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I go and really make a stink. I'm hoping that these guys that show up tomorrow to pull the meter are actually somewhat helpful and not just a bunch of "no"s and "we cant"s like the damn customer service phone folk
I'll try to get the images off the Fluke today and perhaps post them so you can see what I'm up against.

They should be helpful, most techs I've ever dealt with usually become very helpful when they realize you'll understand what they're talking about =)

Or a bit up tight when you show you know how to do their job better than they do!
Bring the thermal image meter with! You will have friends for life if you let them play with it!

I know you'd be my best friend =) A thermal imager is very high on my list of desired gadgets.

DID see the main lugs where the entrance cable ties in were hot.
Hotter than the branch fuses feeding the dryer.
They should be colder; thicker wire and more thermal conductivity to carry the heat away.
Just torqueing down stuff may fix this but watch out for arc-flash.

put your test leads across the suspected part of wire or connection and see if there is any voltage present

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back