Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

home electronics parts database ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacIntoshCZ

I have a lot of parts in my boxes and sometimes i want use something that i dont have anymore.
Do you use any software that manage that for you? Like database for eshop. Just select some parts like when shopping online =)

I am to old fashioned for that, I keep small parts in plastic fronted drawers and use the MK1 eyball, if I run out I add it to a pencil & paper shortage list for the next parts order.

I don't think I'd be sufficiently disciplined to access the database every time I grabbed a part to build something. The result would be the database rapidly becoming out of sync with the actual stock of parts.

I don't think I'd be sufficiently disciplined to access the database every time I grabbed a part to build something. The result would be the database rapidly becoming out of sync with the actual stock of parts.
yes, i realized that too. In the end, I only added integrated circuits and power components to this database.
it does not makes sense to add resistors and capacitors (btw i added X2 rated caps also), it would be time demanding.

My situation is similar. As a hobbyist I salvaged defunct devices and stripped the components off many of the boards, creating a junk box that includes many singles or pairs of ICs--some of which are custom and others which are common--and both common and obscure transistors. I recently created a simple Libre-elec database for my ICs, then chose to add the transistors too. Nothing else. The initial data entry was a pain, and I did add quantities but I know I won't keep up the maintenance.

Where the database is valuable for me is when I spot some cool oscillator or amp circuit made from an obscure (to me) chip then I can look it up to see if I just happen to have one. That's so much easier than rifling through a bucket of chips each time, trying to read the tiny markings. Also makes more sense than sorting, labelling and storing each one individually, never to use most of them (a DTMF touch tone decoder chip?). Where I have many of the same IC or transistor (some purchased) then they are stored in separate compartments and I figure I'll notice when stock gets low and I should order more.

BTW, I'm a retired IT guy so designing the simple database and getting data into and out of it wasn't a challenge.

Chuck
Rossland BC

What would be useful in such programs would be the ability to also link to/open a datasheet.

I have seen a couple of programs like that but not at a price suitable for hobbyists.

Likewise, although such a program would be a good idea, I just wouldn't be disciplined enough to keep it up to date (especially when I buy some stuff in 1000 quantities or 10,000 like when I added too many 0's for the last lot of 1N4148's).

Oh Dear, that makes me feel like a right Nerd !

I have most, but not all my parts archive listed in an Excel File together with a hyperlink to the pdf datasheet. There is also a search Database .. .. .. .. .

1637224089433.png

I guess I need to keep taking the tablets, Eh ?

MM

Anywho!! A database can be a bit of paper.. as long as it logs what you need... Excel can do the job better in some instances because you add up what you own at the same time... Access has to be fiddled with and logged in and ..... Grrrrr! I hate it..

Having spent way too much time in that, my suggestion is simply, don't!

When you finally get it perfect, your hobby would be by then growing water lilies or shirts ironing.

Time spent on that is wasted time.

There is an option: you could disagree with me (don't bother to tell me) and start.

Philistines !

My XL isn't, nor ever has been, nor ever will be perfect; in particular, I have the same problem that some others seem to allude to - I lack the discipline to keep it perfectly up to date .. .. .. . notably quantities - because I doubt I've ever taken a component out of the box and reduced the XL quantity at the same time; equally, I don't have the space to have them ' dotted about the unit ' .................

Two points .. .. .. One, Mac asked, so I answered ; Two, works for me !

Philistines !

MM

I once made an Excel "database" of the many quartz crystals which I have accumulated over the years.

It lists
Frequency
Holder size

Just one problem, crystals have gone in and out of the parts archive, but has the "database" been updated?
What do you think?

JimB

Even commercial organisations have problems keeping an accurate database of stock. I recently checked online that a particular item I wanted was shown as in stock at a local store, went to the store, then got the checkout operator at the store to confirm on their computer that the item was in stock. The operator then phoned the store's on-site warehouse to re-confirm and was told that they didn't have the item!

Even commercial organisations have problems keeping an accurate database of stock.

Agreed .. RS are amongst the worst !

However, quite apart from the integrity of the stock level, even with my modest, novice stock, I have approaching 800 lines and the XL file also stores a location for each. If I had to try and remember where I'd put each item, I'd probably be working in the north west, making bits for cranes ! :)

MM

However, quite apart from the integrity of the stock level, even with my modest, novice stock, I have approaching 800 lines and the XL file also stores a location for each. If I had to try and remember where I'd put each item, I'd probably be working in the north west, making bits for cranes ! :)

MM
Oooouchh!!!

Talking about RS... Someone needs to tell them to get more "library" pictures.. as they don't quite cut it!!

MM
I use RS al the time, never had any issues - other than it tells you they are out of stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back