Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultrasonic Vein Detector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please do say more about the patent. Is it a USA patent? Our usual patent number is just 7 characters, e.g., 5,004,950, but your number is quite different from that. What type of patent is it? The USA has different types.

It is becoming less clear to me the purpose of the project. Cerendipity was a method to distinguish veins from arteries. That is not really an issue when doing phlebotomy using peripheral veins.

If you are planning to make a device for doing venipuncture of deep veins and do experiments thereon, that is a whole different issue.

John

cerendipity's purpose was to provide an effective means to distinguish veins from other structures such as arteries. hence making the detection of a vein by relatively easier methods possible as opposed to making 3d images as you had proposed in your earlier message.
the patent is a US patent.

I've uploaded the Patent . Perhaps it will shed some light on the matter.

Attachments

• ultrasonic vein detector.pdf
    78.7 KB · Views: 194
In reality, that link is a patent application. The application gives a degree of protection, but is not actually a patent.

How would your proposal be different? It appears these "vein locators" may not work with a tourniquet in place. Are you proposing doing venipuncture in the cubital (anticubital) fossa of peripheral veins without a tourniquet? What happens if you locate a vein, then apply a tourniquet? How are you going to mark its location and depth?

John

Last edited:
I hadn't anticipated the event of complications due to the use of a tourniquet but would the data recorded before the use of a tourniquet i.e by locating the vein and then using the tourniquet vary greatly with regard to where it actually is?

and yes. the device is desired to work in the cubital fossa area mainly targeting the median cubital vein but veni pucture as decribed before may be carried out with a tourniqeut after it has been located .

How will you mark location and depth? Remember, the proposed use is for fat people and infants.

Will this device actually be better than simply a "blind" stick is today? You should watch skillful phlebotomists deal with those patients.

John

....then there is the case of burn victims . .....the charred skin usually provides the hindrance and multiple invasions can only add to the agony of the patient.

For one of your intended uses, I think this precludes any device that uses of a tourniquet.

Ken

Ken, Burn victims are a special case for anyone involved with caring them. For one thing, severely burned patients (e.g., those with charred skin) sense pain differently. Pain fibers in the skin are burned too. I was of the impression that the OP had dropped that application.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back