Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultrasonic Transducers for NDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emil09

Anybody familiar with these things?

**broken link removed**

They seem to usually be used in systems specially designed to operate them but I'm interested in trying to use one in a lab for experimental purposes with a signal generator and a spectrum analyzer. Possible?

Last edited:
Sure it's possible, if you have a decent analyzer, interpreting the results is a rather advanced topic though. The picture is indistinct, can you provide the model number of the module pictured?

Sure it's possible, if you have a decent analyzer, interpreting the results is a rather advanced topic though. The picture is indistinct, can you provide the model number of the module pictured?

I don't actually have that model, I just wanted to provide a photo of the general type of transducer that I was referring to so that people wouldn't confuse it with a range finder or something like that. The little bit of information I do have on that particular transducer is the following:

ULTRASONIC ANGLE BEAM TEST PROBE
- 4MHz, 8X9 mm, 45 / 60 / 70 DEGREE 1 X EACH
- SUBVIS CONNECTOR
- INDEX POINT 15 mm
- GOOD RESOLUTION AND SENSITIVITY
- BANDWIDTH: 50% AT -6dB

I'm in the process of determining the type of transducer I should purchase. Quite a few to choose from as you can see from one of the sites I've been browsing:

NDT Supply - Nondestructive Testing Equipment & Supplies

They seem to range in price from about $150 to $300 and in frequency from about 1 MHz to 5 MHz. Based on what I've been reading, I will need some kind of high voltage "pulser/receiver" to operate the transducer. One of the transducers I was looking at requires a pulse voltage of 300 v (don't know if that's peak or peak-to-peak). I'm pretty sure the signal generator in my lab can't handle 300 volt pulses.

For those who don't know, this is the basic idea behind what I'm interested in:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Wow, I had no idea the frequencies they used were so high, I'm guessing the power output is pretty low so a transformer should work fine to step up the voltage from the signal generator. You're probably going to want more control though, you probably need to generate a single pulse, or short trains easy enough for a micro controller, just use a push/pull driver to step up the current and feed that into a transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back