Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultrasonic Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

neo_matrix671

hi,i'm working on project which avoids accident between two cars,for that purpose i'm measuring distance between two moving cars,
to measure distance i'm using ultrasonic ranger

SRF01 Ultrasonic range finder

i want to know that will this ultrasonic ranger work properly,please help...

hi,i'm working on project which avoids accident between two cars,for that purpose i'm measuring distance between two moving cars,
to measure distance i'm using ultrasonic ranger

SRF01 Ultrasonic range finder

i want to know that will this ultrasonic ranger work properly,please help...

hi,
Looking at the datasheet, I cannot find the TX power or any indication of possible ranges.???

The problem that you have is that ultrasound is subject wind conditions.!

EDIT:
I found this on the web.
**broken link removed**

On moving cars its possible that the US beam will get blown away.

Last edited:
The range on one of those rangefinders will be too short, they measure on the order of inches or maybe a couple feet. Also, the wind noise outside a car at speed will drown out the ultrasonic pings, reducing its range further.

It might warn you a few milliseconds before you hit the other car though...

The wind pressure will stop the transducer from working and might even damage it.
The wind noise will be much too high anyway.
Stick your head outside a moving car to hear what it sounds like.

It might pick up the reflection from the rear of a truck or bus but have a very short range with the tiny reflection from the rear of a streamlined car.

Max distance says 5m, you won't be able to prevent any accidents with that, maybe you could make a reverse driving indicator the beeps when your about to hit something?

This is not an easy project!

Without looking at the limited range spec's for ultrasonic transducers and ignoring wind noise, he is designing a collision avoidance circuit for real cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back